News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1914 EK1 mm "FR"+"Fr"

• 7 years later...

Well, Guessing is a first step, an important one...as long as it stays as such... it only becomes dangerous when lists come out based on guessing.

There are a few lists out there..... at some stage someone matched existing names to the Letters on EKs and came up with a list of often "long shot possibles" that somehow has been spread all over...

I rememeber when FR was identified as Frank and Reif...

I called up the company to ask if they had ever made EKs in WW1... the old guy on the phone said "NO! Definately not!"

On top of that, Frank and Reif are a Prägewerk.... they just do metal stamping, no jeweller work etc. etc...

I think the Fr is correct.... but think FR is still unclear....

I think the Fr is correct.... but think FR is still unclear....

Is there any serious reason they should be two different firms?

If you compare to (officially made!) Prussian orders, you'll find tons of different marks - for just about two dozen (Berlin) firms!

Edited by saschaw

I remember fr being identified as Frank and Reif. Long time ago. For some reason I was once told that KAG was Klein and Quenzer.

So many lists out there and a lot of guess work in the past falls into being accepted fact.

Okay, I'm asking the other way round. We agree the "FR" crosses are award types, right?

What time period do you think they are from? If I had to guess, I'd say ca. 1915/1916, but as I'm not having one (better: some) in a complete group, I don't know.

What do you think? Or (better:) does anyone have one with a documented group?

Is there any serious reason they should be two different firms?

If you compare to (officially made!) Prussian orders, you'll find tons of different marks - for just about two dozen (Berlin) firms!

How many firms outside of Berlin?

Scharfenberg has 8 Firms outside of Berlin already in the 2nd Quartal of 1916. How many could there have been in the 3rd Quartal?

Here is a question.... if Fr and FR are the same firm, surely there would be a crossover point when you find both the Fr and FR stamps on the same cross type? It is unlikely that with the core in the cross in post one ALL had FR, and ALL with the core in post 2 had Fr....

Best

Chris

Scharfenberg has 8 Firms outside of Berlin already in the 2nd Quartal of 1916. How many could there have been in the 3rd Quartal?

Possibly some, but it doesn't matter, as these non-Berlin makers would not have delivered the EK1 until April 1917 - and I'm totally sure "Fr." as well as "FR" crosses do pre-date this change.

And what about "Fr W" ??

Is this a maker mark "W" or rather a quality controll mark? If not the latter, I'd guess they helped each other out... but hard to know for sure!

Edited by saschaw

Have you read another Scharffenberg article than I did?

;)

The GOK ordered the 1st classes from Berlin firms only, which annoyed the makers from other cities, e. g. Hanau, and this didn't change until the responsibility was wrested from the GOK and given to the EZA in April 1917.

So, although we don't have any official document that gives each abbreviation a complete firm name, we still can assume with a probability bordering on certainty - for the 1st half of WW1's EK 1 - that "S-W" stands for Sy & Wagner, "G" for Godet and "WS" für Joh. Wagner & Sohn, while we can be dead sure that a "FR" marked cross, if delivered officially and pre-April 1917, cannot be made by Frank & Reif in Stuttgart.

This is so few facts we have at the moment in this regards it's making me sad they are ignored for some baseless theories.

Edited by saschaw

Have you read another Scharffenberg article than I did?

;)

The GOK ordered the 1st classes from Berlin firms only, which annoyed the makers from other cities, e. g. Hanau, and this didn't change until the responsibility was wrested from the GOK and given to the EZA in April 1917.

So, although we don't have any official document that gives each abbreviation a complete firm name, we still can assume with a probability bordering on certainty - for the 1st half of WW1's EK 1 - that "S-W" stands for Sy & Wagner, "G" for Godet and "WS" für Joh. Wagner & Sohn, while we can be dead sure that a "FR" marked cross, if delivered officially and pre-April 1917, cannot be made by Frank & Reif in Stuttgart.

This is so few facts we have at the moment in this regards it's making me sad they are ignored for some baseless theories.

Hi,

The search for facts usually starts off by theories and brainstorming :-), we have to start somewhere. If you dont discuss and wait for facts to fall from heaven... we have a long wait ;-)

FR is DEFINATELY not Frank and reif, as I posted, i alled the firm and they informed me they did NOT make EKs.

Best

Chris

The search for facts usually starts off by theories and brainstorming :-),

Or in archive works. I find it a great work Dr. Scharffenberg has undertaken, and am curious how much new facts will be in Dr. Wernitz' book.

Who knows, maybe all (or most of the) puzzle parts were missing today? Hopefully at least some...

FR is DEFINATELY not Frank and reif, as I posted, i alled the firm and they informed me they did NOT make EKs.

Well... if the guy on the phone told you, it must be true. Or he didn't know. Or he didn't care. What I want to say - an old worker from a factory, who - as I assume - wasn't even there back than (in WW1!), is not a proof. Archive documents are.

At least we agree and have the same conclusion... =)

Edited by saschaw