News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

"old" model Bavarian Military Merit Order

I recently posted an inquiry about the owner of Bavarian Curaissier Sword in the German Dagger and Swords forum.

Rick astonished me in identifying the owner and his military history which included being awarded the "old" model Bavarian Military Merit Order 4th class with swords.

I did not realize there was an "old" model and would really like to see a pic of one to compare to the "new" ? model I have.

Could someone post a pic of an "old" one?

Thanks so much,

Rod

I have no picture but can explain you what it looks like. The old "4th class" actually was called "Ritterkreuz II. Klasse". Is was made of Gold, was blue enemaled but had no flames between the arms - that's it. This class was one of the originals, instituted in 1866. The swords came just in 1891, so noone wore swords before, even if awarded for bravery. The ribbon was the white and blue one ("Friedensband") up to 1913 for all versions, swords didn't matter.

I finally found a picture, unfortunally a baaaaad cross. Though you can see what about it should look like ... ;)

Edited by saschaw

I have no picture but can explain you what it looks like. The old "4th class" actually was called "Ritterkreuz II. Klasse". Is was made of Gold, was blue enemaled but had no flames between the arms - that's it. This class was one of the originals, instituted in 1866. The swords came just in 1891, so noone wore swords before, even if awarded for bravery. The ribbon was the white and blue one ("Friedensband") up to 1913 for all versions, swords didn't matter.

I finally found a picture, unfortunally a baaaaad cross. Though you can see what about it should look like ... ;)

IGITT. That looks like one of raritaetensammler's offerings.

IGITT. That looks like one of raritaetensammler's offerings.

Hey, you're good - it _is_ one of those.

Worst eCrap ever of course, though it illustrates what I wanted to explain - and not everyone has such nice pictures as stogie does ... :P

... but yes, the "First Style" BMVK is (relatively) easier to find then the Order. Very hard to find with good enamel though. Usually, they show up chipped. I've handled only one of the Order, but four of the Kreuz. Two were mounted on bars and chipped up pretty bad. US market for it is depressed as compared to Germany. (IMO)

Yes, hardly ever seen an unchipped one. Actually I don't mind too much with those old.

US market for it is depressed as compared to Germany. (IMO)

Methinks the same. I sat at Thies auction some years ago, an old Knight's cross IInd class in gold as shown above, but without swords was limited about 800,- Euro and finished with approx. 3k ... :speechless:

PS: I'm still looking for a MVO 4th class 1905 to 1914 type without swords ... :rolleyes:

Hey, you're good - it _is_ one of those.

Worst eCrap ever of course, though it illustrates what I wanted to explain - and not everyone has such nice pictures as stogie does ... :P

Knowing the baddies helps to keep the collection clear of this muck.

Unfortunately, I have had to find out the hard way with an MVK2x that used to be a MVK3x.

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone is interested... there's an acceptable example of the MVK, pre-1905 on eBay in the USA right now. $155. & counting. Chipped as usual, but not excessively. A very nice, very hard to find piece. I don't know the seller at all, but I do know the medal.

Item #270221247542

Photos attached