News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello

I don't have many imperial medals, but this is my favourite. It was brought back by a norwegian soldier, that served in northern germany, in the imidiate post war years. I am sorry, that the picture is not the best.

All the best

Snoopy

It is sooooooooo difficult, to decide, but I think, I`ll choose this one.

It is a Prussian "Feldzugsmedaille" from the first Silesian War, 1740 - 1742, a silvermedal and as far as I know, the first Prussian war-medal at all. It is described in the book of Friedhelm Heyde: "Die altpreu?ischen Orden".

Regards, Kapitular

Hello dond

Please tell us what your favorite is. Some of these wonderful awards are well known to their owners but they are hard to trace for some of us folks.

I'm dying to know.

all the best

Veteran

It is sooooooooo difficult, to decide, but I think, I`ll choose this one.

It is a Prussian "Feldzugsmedaille" from the first Silesian War, 1740 - 1742, a silvermedal and as far as I know, the first Prussian war-medal at all. It is described in the book of Friedhelm Heyde: "Die altpreu?ischen Orden".

Regards, Kapitular

...Is that a "battle " medal? Was it awarded only to officers (like the Culloden medal) as a 'souviner' or was it quasi-official (e.g. state mint produced/awarded)?

It's wonderful.

Gentlemen,

As promised in post #19, my ?favorite? arrived home today to get his picture taken. Although he certainly is not much to look at, there is a tremendous sentimental value here that outweighs all other factors.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

I don't have any medals so I'll post a direct ORDER. :lol:

A Napoleonic campaign letter by French General Jean-Antoine Verdier while commander of the Westphailian division. The document is dated July 7, 1809 while in Spain during the Peninsular War.

Monsieur le General, we...., given the instruction attached to the dispositions I have sent you that the half moon must be also attacked at the same time as the breach. As a consequence you will compose your attack column with nine companies of Grenadiers and nine of Voltigeurs chosen among the regiments that you are commanding and Colonel M..., whom you'll have arriving through the same ground at the same time as the column commanded by my Aid-de-Camp Maisonneuve to get to the breach that was done to the half moon climbing up the ditch through the left of your troops. As the breach might not be very negotiable, it will have to be climbed using ladders that will be carried by a company of Sappers which is expressely ordered to that aim........

(signed)

Verdier

Edited by Bear

A Napoleonic campaign letter by French General Jean-Antoine Verdier while commander of the Westphailian division. The document is dated July 7, 1809 while in Spain during the Peninsular War.

Collecting history does not get any better than that!! Amazing and significant!

Aaaaah, bad question. I like everything in my collection ... but this one may be the best - and haven't shown it yet. :rolleyes:

A Baden bravery medal, awarded in 1849 to a Prussian NCO. Conditions not too good, seems to be proudly worn. :P

Edit:

regarding Post #11 - Mike, what indicates that oak leave on the Ottoman ribbon? I've got exactly the same as mini device on a Hessian Ribbon bar, thought it was rather unofficial ... :rolleyes:

Edited by saschaw

...Is that a "battle " medal? Was it awarded only to officers (like the Culloden medal) as a 'souviner' or was it quasi-official (e.g. state mint produced/awarded)?

It's wonderful.

Yes, it is a "battle" medal and I suppose, it was not only awarded to the officers. It has an original old black silk ribbon and it seems to be the first Prussian wearable medal. Friedhelm Heyde called it: Prussian "Honourmedal". It is well known, that the Prussian king already in 1741 awarded some medals to the generals and higher officers, but about this medal, up to now, there are no further informations.

reverse, sorry for the 2 posts but i'am unable to put 2 pictures in one posting

haynau

Wow!! A truly Napoleonic Medal...imagine is winned at Aspern- Essling or Wagram?

Congrats

Miguel

Well if we're on to Napoleonic era and broadened away from just Imperial German, then I would have to add this as a favorite:

Austrian 1813-14 Army Cross, or Cannon Cross, with original ribbon and attached miniature campaign/commemorative medals.

AT_Cannon_Cross_1.jpgAT_Cannon_Cross_2.jpg

AT_Cannon_Cross_3.jpg