News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of Lenin Advice

Guest Darrell

Hi all,

I have a choice of the below 4 Order of Lenin Medals. They are not WW2 era, and range from the late 1940s to 1970s. If you had the choice which one would you choose? The only difference is about $100 between the Type 6 Variation 2 and the Type 5 Variation 1.

Things I'd like to consider is overall shape and condition, as well as value. I would appreciate the Lenin guys out their to offer up their advice. Thanks.

1. Type 6 Variation 2

Obverse:

Edited by Darrell

Darrel,

i would chose the Typ 5 Lenin, as its the oldest of them and has a chance to have been awarded for Military Merit. The very late ones weren?t given for Long-Service anymore, as the Long-Service Medals already existed.

best,

Gerd

I agree with Gerd... When I was still buying these, I would buy the one with the lowest number for the same reasons...

Pretty sad how the Order of Lenin and other orders were diminished as time passed... It went from being a high honor for sacrifice and heroism to being given as a token retirement present... :mad:

Edited by Paul Reck

Guest Rick Research

I like the design of the last one best, with the old spot for screwpost still in there...

but with ANY of these, you never know if they will be for heroism, long service, or speed-canning sardines-- the "problem" with a General Purposes Order.

WITHOUT Orders Book (and I think I would be very tempted to wait for one WITH at least the Orders Book showing name and minimal or better date information-- and yet that is why I have NO Lenin!) I might be tempted MORE towards the very first one, serial Number 442,XXX-- that is a late 1970s number, when these had become quite exclusive again, numbers dried up to a trickle... and whatever it was, was given for something big.

maybe they were BIG sardines. :cheeky:

Thanks guys ... I'm in no rush. Still awaiting some info from seller. I'm getting a Liberation of Belgrade / Defense of Sevastopol / Odessa set in the next couple of weeks ... so my cash flow is low.

I have time to be picky ... I do think the first one listed is in the best condition (as obviously it should be since it is the newest of the lot), but may not be the best for future value.