News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Republic of Ireland Rates of Pay for the Military

Hallo Gentlemen, :beer:

during my research work for my book I came across this, its in connection with the Irish Military,

who were in service during "THE EMERGENCY" as World War Two was known in the Republic of Ireland.

I have not opened the envelope which contains this research in 5 years as its was to the WW2 period, but contained some reprints in the 1940 paper of incidents that happened to Mayo men in service of the British Army in World War 1, which is in context with my book (work in progress) about the British Military circa 1750 - 1922. in the West of Ireland.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 1940's ARMY ALLOWANCES SCALE.- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Particulars Of Pay Of Men Serving In The National Forces.The following particulars are contained in a pamphlet issued by the Department of Defence regarding the pay and allowances of the Defence Forces:-

PAY - OFFICERS.

OFFICERS OF THE GENERAL RESERVE OF OFFICERS WHEN ON PERMANENT SERVICE:

An Officer of the General Reserve of Officers when on permanent service id granted, from the date of his reporting for duty to the date of termination of such duty, the rate of pay of which he was in receipt immediately prior to his retirement from the Permanent Force. The rates of pay for Officers of the Permanent Force are as follows:-

Rank.- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Daily Rates of Pay. (In Pounds, Shillings and Pence.)

Colonel on appointment . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1 8 0

Colonel after two years service in the rank . . . . 1 10 0

Colonel after five years service in the rank . . . . 1 12 0

Major on appointment . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1 4 0

Major after two years service in the rank . . . . 1 6 0

Major after five years service in the rank . . . . . 1 8 0

Commandant on appointment. . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1 0 0

Commandant after two years service in the rank . . . 1 8 0

Commandant after five years service in the rank . . 1 4 0

Captain on appointment. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0 14 0

Captain after two years service in the rank . . . . . 0 16 0

Captain after five years service in the rank. . . . . . 0 18 0

Lieutenant on appointment . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0 10 0

Lieutenant after two years service in the rank . . . . 0 12 0

Lieutenant after five years service in the rank . . . . 0 14 0

Second-Lieutenant on appointment. . . . . . . . . . . . 0 8 0

Second-Lieutenant after two years service in the rank 0 9 0

Second-Lieutenant after five years service in the ranks. 0 10 0

OFFICERS OF THE RESERVE - THE VOLUNTEER FORCE WHEN ON PERMANENT SERVICE.

Rank.- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Daily Rates of Pay. (In Pounds, Shillings and Pence.)

Second-Lieutenants.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0 8 0

Lieutenants. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0 10 0

Captain. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0 14 0

Extra Pay of the Professional Soldier.

In addition to the daily rates of pay, Medical Officers, Dental and Veterinary officers, Legal, Engineer, Ordnance and Signal Officers appointed to commissioned rank on or subsequent to the 1st of December 1938, may be paid the following Schedule.

Additional Pay per Annum:

Medical Officers :-

Second-Lieutenants . . . . . . . . . 150 Pounds.

Lieutenant to Colonel . . . . . . . . 120 Pounds.

Dental and Veterinary Officers :-

Second Lieutenants . . . . . . . . . 125 Pounds.

Lieutenant to Colonel . . . . . . . . 120 Pounds.

Legal, Engineer, Ordnance and Signal Officers:-

Second Lieutenants . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 100 Pounds.

Lieutenant to Colonel. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 80 Pounds.

ALLOWANCES - OFFICERS.

Lodging, Fuel and Light Allowances:-

Married Officers.

A Married Officer of the Permanent Forces or a Married Officer of the Reserve of Officers on permanent service who is not provided with married quarters shall be entitled to lodging, fuel and light allowance at the rate of 7/- a day provided that in the case of officers of the Reserve of Officers, marriage took place before the 1st of July, 1940.

Lodging, Fuel and Light Allowances :-

Widower Officers.

Lodging, Fuel and Light allowances at the rate of 7/- a day may be issued to widower officers, with family, residing out of barracks, with permission, until the youngest boy has reached the age of 18 years and the youngest girl has reached the age of 21 years, provided that in the case of widower officers of the Reserve of Officers on permanent service the marriage took place before the 1st of July, 1940.

PAY - NON-COMMISSIONED OFFICERS AND PRIVATES.

PAY OF NON-COMMISSIONED OFFICERS - The Permanent Force.

The Reserve of Men Classes "A" and "B" and the Reserve, the Volunteer Force:-

Rank. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -Rates per diem. (In Shillings and Pence).

Sergeant-Major . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 7 6.

Battalion Quartermaster Sergeant . . . . . . . . . . . . 6 6.

Company Sergeant . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 6 0.

Company Quartermaster Sergeant . . . . . . . . . . . . 5 6.

Sergeant . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5 0.

Corporal . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 4 0.

PAY OF PRIVATES :- The Permanent Force and The Reserve of Men, Classes "A" and "B".

Rank. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -Rates per diem. (In Shillings and Pence).

Private, Class I . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2 6.

Private, Class I I . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2 3.

Private, Class I I I . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2 0.

Privates who enlisted in the Forces prior to the 14th October, 1926 receive 6d. per diem in addition to the above rates.

PAY OF PRIVATES:- The Reserve - The Volunteer Force:-

Rank. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -Rates per diem. (In Shillings and Pence).

Private, Class I . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2 3.

Privates, Classes I I, I I I, and I V. . . . . . . . . . . . . 2 0

Note:- Men enlisting in the Permanent Force for the duration of the present emergency who have previous military experience may be graded as Privates Class I I., and paid at the rate of 2/3d. a day from the date of enlistment.

ADDITIONAL PAY.

Additional pay at varying rates may be granted to non-commissioned officers and men of the Permanent Force, The Volunteer Force, employed as clerks, tradesmen. etc,. according to their qualifications.

MARRIAGE AND CHILDREN'S ALLOWANCES.

Payable to married and widower non-commissioned officers and men of the Permanents Force (including men enlisted for the duration of the present emergency) and to married and widower non-commissioned officers and men of the Reserve of Men Classes "A" and "B" and The Reserve - The Volunteer Force on permanent service, provided that in all cases marriage took place before the 1st of July, 1940.

Allowances - - - - - - - -- - - - - Rates per diem. (In Shillings and Pence).

Wife's Allowance . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1 0.

One Child . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1 0.

Two Children . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1 6.

Three Children . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1 9.

Four Children . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2 0.

For each additional Child . . . . . . . . . 0 3.

RATION ALLOWANCES.

Officers and Men are entitled to the free issue of rations. Where rations are not issued, Ration Allowance may be paid at rates which vary from time to time. The daily rate of Ration Allowances at present payable are as follows:-

Officers 2/-

N.C.O.'s and Men - 1/5d or 1/8d according to circumstances.

I hope you find it interesting, all to often I have tended to focus on the Medals & Militaria, but this gives an insight into how much real "Brass" :P the soldier was getting for his service.

Kevin in Deva. :beer: