British Sword question...

From what I read the Officers swords were private purchase.

I recently bought a 1912 pattern officers cavalry sword made by "Fenton Brothers, Sword Cutlers to the war office"

It has a broad arrow with "Proved" and what looks to be

5E

?

(The ? could be an L or an I)

Could this be an issue sword? I did not think broad arrows could be found on private purchase pieces?

Thanks

Chrid

• 11 months later...

From what I read the Officers swords were private purchase.

I recently bought a 1912 pattern officers cavalry sword made by "Fenton Brothers, Sword Cutlers to the war office"

It has a broad arrow with "Proved" and what looks to be

5E

?

(The ? could be an L or an I)

Could this be an issue sword? I did not think broad arrows could be found on private purchase pieces?

Thanks

Chris

Chris,

I don't know if you ever got an answer, and am very sorry for the lateness of my reply (new member). Yes, for officers they were private purchases. However, I've seen Victorian era similarly marked officer's model swords, I'm assuming were for top grade senior non-commissioned officers. That were broad arrow marked, with what seemed to me to be a few small more or less random marks. And a Scottish broadsword (with an undress hilt), and possibly one other that escapes me at the moment. I hope this helps.

Best Regards, FP