News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

What have you in the drawer that's rare?

The thing that always strikes me when I hold a gold piece, as opposed to silver-gilt, is the weight. Since most gold pieces are hollow, there's almost nothing to them and it catches you by surprise. Like the difference between a Saxon AOOK in gold/silver gilt. (Like the Glaser one from a few nights ago!) It's a striking thing the first time you hold one!

Guest Brian von Etzel

I saw the cased Zep. Badge. I was pretty impressed. Most of the ones I've seen are clear fakes. I'd really like to see a high res closeup of the CEJ mark.

W O W !!! Not a single word on a Zeppelin Becher or a cased Zeppelin badge. You guys are tough to impress! I gotta look for some ribbon bars...

Bloody Hell, I just saw that. What L ship did Volkman serve in? They had an 70% casualty rate did they not?

This is my rare one, not that glamorous really:

Edited by Ulsterman

Nope, I think that's rare enough to challenge many people as to what exactly it is.

Like me, for example! Okay, now I'm feeling the love. Ulsterman, Volkmann served on Z IV, LZ 38, LZ 86, LZ 97, and LZ 113, but you can read the whole story on the `Drome under "Medals." Brian, I'll try a close-up of CEJ and post a few other badge oddities, including one sold to me on eBay by Stogieman who may `fess up today just why he divested himself of it! :lol:

Rgds

John

Stogieman,

I purchased this piece as bronze gilt. Upon seeing your gold one with the dark enamel, I had one with similar enamel. When I conpared the two, it is also lighter than my Friedlander 938 piece. I do not have a scale to weigh it, other than that is there any way to verify whether it is Gold or not. Here are some pics Obverse,

IPB Image

Hi Dan, if it feels light as a feather... lierally...... check the weight in grams (bring it to a jeweler)... then see if anyone has a Nimmergut's with prussia (the big $250 per volume) one and compare the weight. I've seen/owned only one brz. gilt and truth be known, the brz. gilt one had gilding so bright I thought it was real gold at first... until I weighed it out. My brz-gilt had no marks either. Only marked ones I've seen (Wagner & Friedlander, 1 Godet) were all maker/content marked. It would be smashing if yours was gold, it would be only the fourth I've seen!