News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Show your Imperial officier' shoulderboards

Guest Rick Research

The "V" shaped flecks in German officers' Feldachselst?cke will reveal the home state of the wearer, or his Imperial status:

1) A M1910 Prussian (black "V"s) Leutnant of aviation branch

2) A M1910 Bavarian (blue "V"s) Leutnant of wartime independent Foot Artillery Battery 10

3) Two M1915 Bavarian variations-- on subdued M1915 insignia, with dull yarn in plavce of shing woven silver threads, sometime WHITE was mixed with the pale blue to provide better contrast. These two are from pairs which belong to a Military Max Joseph Knight.

• Replies 99
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rick Research

The navy used the imperial tricolors (black on one half of each "V" and twisted white and red on the other side of each "V")-- but so did the colonial Schutztruppen.

So how to tell which was which, faced with a white underlay board, which could be common to both services?

In the NAVY, the tricolors alternated : black/white-red, next red-white/black, next black/white-red.

In the colonial forces, the tricolors always remained in the same order: black/white-red, black/white-red, black/white-red

A Korvettenkapit?n zur See and an Oberstleutnant of Schutztruppen from Southwest Africa

Guest Rick Research

Here's a closeup from a lower ranking naval officer's shoulder board which more clearly shows the tricolors as used on BOTH navy and colonial forces, but as alternated by the navy.

W?rttemberg ALSO used black and red-- but no white. Every "V" was two strands of black and red for the army of that south German kingdom, as compared with an Imperial navy board of similar but distinctly different design:

Hello Rick,

Can you tell me anything about these? Are they imperial? Are they German?

What does the yellow on the one with the black Vs mean? Is the other from the medical corps or pay corps or something completely different?

Thanks

Tony

Tony,

I can't make out the branch colour on the captains's board but the cypher is that of an officer of the Wehrmacht administrative branch of the "Special Troop Service" or Truppensonderdienst. The rank designation is Stabsintendant and the branch was formed from former administrative officials of the intendance and paymaster branches on the 1st of May 1944. The correct piping should be light blue.

Regards

Glenn

Hello Glenn,

So I wasn't far out with my paymaster guess. The underside is a sort of dark blue I'd say and no piping is present.

I picked both of them up (they are pairs) years and years ago on a flea market after I couldn't find anything else I wanted. Don't know why, I just needed to spend my money.

Tony

Guest Rick Research

The other one is Third Reich (fire department, customs, border guards, and RAD continued to use "V"s as did the Police) for Reichsbahn personnel equivalent to a Feldwebel.

Here's a comparison between the carmine/radioactive pink of the Feuerwehr (Third Reich) and the traditional color for the (Bavarian here and sadly much worn which is why it looks darker) General Staff!

Any chance of a close up on the crown and scroll Mike?

Have you finally bought yourself a scanner?

Tony

Hey Tony, No problems with that, but I'll have to take closer pictures tomorrow ... still haven't splashed out on a scanner yet :speechless-smiley-004:

• 4 months later...
    Guest Rick Research

Bavarian J?ger Battalion 4 Leutnant M1915 dress pattern-- there wasn't, after all, any PRE-war battalion of this number to wear the shiny type!

[attachmentid=11973]