News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi all,

Sorry about my stupid question again. I try to study ribbon and medal bars and one another question arise.

What colors was on use and is there any spesific ones, what can match with exact branch.

Like I got this nice three place Bavaria ribbon bar and there is used blue cloth backing. Is it mean that this bar was only for the Imperial Navy?

04692329587a64_o.jpg

Also is there any lists, what color backings different makers used? Also was there makers who made medal or ribbon bars just for a Navy or Army.

Oh, lots of questions again.

I hope someone can advise me a little :jumping:

Regards,

Noor

Guest Rick Research

That shade of medium-blue was a favorite choice for Bavarians.

There was never any official regulation for backings-- simply custom and tradition. Red was the most common color in Prussia, dark blue for the navy... but it came down to the choice of the wearer or what the outfitter had on hand.

Field gray is often found during the war.

But I have seen yellow, pink... even a shredded piece of NCO rank lace!

So it is not a question of what color they HAD to use, but of what colors were most COMMONLY used.

Rick said yet all, well almost - your bar cannot be navy as navy got Prussian long service awards, but your guy wears a Bavarian - so a common combination to bavarian EM/NCO and worn without devices, we cannot even be sure what grade of MVK he had.

Sometimes unusual material can be found used as backing on the larger medal Bars as well. :o

A veteran who obviously found good use for this strip of medal ribbon,

after replacing the Kyfferhauserbund medal with the Hindenberg Hindenburg Cross in 1934. :unsure:

Kevin in Deva :beer:

P.S. Happy Now :P

Edited by Kev in Deva

after replacing the Kyfferhauserbund medal with the Hindenberg Cross in 1934. :unsure:

Please, it's Hindenburg, with an "u". I read this that often in anglo american Forums. Poor old Reichspr?sident ... :shame:

• 4 weeks later...
    • 8 years later...