News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

United Daughters of the Confederacy Cross of Military Service

dd

Chris,

The UDC http://www.hqudc.org/ is a patriotic historical group of women that honors the memory of those who fought in defense of their Southern homeland during the War Between the States (called by some the Civil War, although it wasn't). Membership is open to women no less than 16 years of age who are blood descendants, lineal or collateral, of men and women who served honorably in the Army, Navy or Civil Service of the Confederate States of America, or gave material aid to the cause. There is also a counterpart organization for males, the Sons of Confederate Veterans (of which I am a member). There are also organizations for the descendants of Union veterans too.

Both the UDC and the SCV issue commemorative medals to persons who are currently serving in the US military.

I suppose with the use of the words "honorable white citizen of the United States of lineal Confederate decent " on the application form, there wouldn't happen to be a version available for any colored persons who fought for the Confederate States. :rolleyes:

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Avoiding any historical comment (though Kevin brushes on some important points ...): I think they also had (have) medals for WWII, Korea, Vietnam, and the two Gulf wars in which the US has been involved (two different?). And part of me even remembers one for the war with Spain? All roughly patterned on their cross for Confederats veterans of the Civil War.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

I suppose with the use of the words "honorable white citizen of the United States of lineal Confederate decent " on the application form, there wouldn't happen to be a version available for any colored persons who fought for the Confederate States. :rolleyes:

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Kev,

Unfortunately for that period in history you would be correct. I don't know about the UDC but the SCV does have black members who are descendants of black Confederate soldiers. There aren't many, but they do exist. Today, at least as far as the SCV goes, there would be no such racial distinction and the award could be given to any qualifying person.

These awards are very difficult to find on the open market. Especially with all the documentation & original box of issue. Someone will win a very significant set....

Every OMSA has numbers of these. See you in Florida?? :)