News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Who can identify this one ?

Gordon Williamson

Atlantis...??

Miguel

You are getting closer.

Another couple of pics

Twin torpedo tubes.

Aradao Ar196 Floatplane and LS3 MTB in aft holds. 15cm gun behind funnel. 2 x 3.7cm guns on main superstructure either side of bridge, numerous 2cm Flak guns..

(Plus not seen - 15cm gun in forward hold, two 15cm guns behind bow panels and two 15cm guns behind stern panels.)

Pure coincidence Colin. :rolleyes:

I kinda thought that it might be someone from Australia that got it right.

Here's the real thing. Looks a bit strange because this photo was obviously taken when she was unladen and riding very high in the water.

Tragic loss of life on HMAS Sydney, but an astonishing feat for a converted merchantman to take on and defeat a powerful purpose built warship.

Thanks Terrence. The model is actually in Resin. Not actually a full kit as a lot of the smaller masts, derricks etc were not supplied and had to be done from scratch. Etched brass for details like the railings and streched sprue for the rigging.

It's pretty tiny. 1/700 scale so really fiddly working with the ultra small parts (the 2cm flak guns were literally just 3mm long) First time I've tried anything in such small scale.

The Auxiliary Cruiser badge in this shot gives you an idea of scale.

Such amazing detail!! In the right light, it would look to be a real photo. How long did it take you to paint?

Not too long as its a fairly basic colour scheme. Its what she was in during her final battle with HMAS Sydney, overall dark grey with dark brown superstructure and black funnel.

Probably try Atlantis next, but will wait a while before doing anything else so small and fiddly again. Anyway, I'm working on a 1/200 Bismarck at the moment. Much easier to work on large scale like that.

Hello Gordon

Lovely model, of an unusual ship. I can't understand how you are able to glue those tiny photo etched railings, onto such a small model. Impressive work.

All the best

Snoopy

Edited by Snoopy

• 4 months later...

Thanks Terrence. The model is actually in Resin. Not actually a full kit as a lot of the smaller masts, derricks etc were not supplied and had to be done from scratch. Etched brass for details like the railings and streched sprue for the rigging.

It's pretty tiny. 1/700 scale so really fiddly working with the ultra small parts (the 2cm flak guns were literally just 3mm long) First time I've tried anything in such small scale.

The Auxiliary Cruiser badge in this shot gives you an idea of scale.

Very nice: Paul is right the light seen from above makes the ocean look like real water. I all so how you put the German Badge to go with the display. How many missions did the crew have to go on to receive this badge?

Thank you

Lorenzo