News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Got this yesterday. I believe it's a Sonderfuhrer as opposed to a Beamte auf Kreigsdauer, due to the dark backing of the tab and the center being the same color as the rest of the silver/grey part, though I admit the apperance of what could be piping has me wondering

Guest Rick Research

:jumping::cheers: Paul's absolutely right.

I have seen exactly ONE of these boys' military school tunics in 40 years-- and that was almost that long ago. The initial on his straps should tell which one it was if you can read it.

The back says

In memory of your

friend (can't read ?nickname)

This kid looks full grown. I've seen other photos in books where the boys were so small they didn't have the correct number of buttons on their miniature tunics.

Hi all

You are right and I was out to lunch. I have found this out:

"....The portrait depicts an NCO candidate attending an Unteroffizier Vorschule (NCO prep school). This was a special category and they were not actually soldiers until they graduated. Enlistees could join at 16 and spent 2 years in a probationary status while they trained. When they graduated they were appointed as "Unteroffizier" in the regular army.

The collar tabs superficially resemble the "officials style" adopted in 1940 but the piping (on three sides) is white, as is the center stripe. They wore regular M-36 style tunics but the buttons were NOT pebbled, being of a nickel plates variety as used by the fire-police.

The monogram on the shoulder strap is a gothic "UV" and there is a roman numeral below that indicates the Wehrkreise where the school is located. In theory there ought to exist a wide range of UV ciphers + roman numerals but the most common seem to be IV & VI for some reason.

The students and staff both wore an "Unteroffiziervorschule" cuff band in sliver wire on dark blue-green on the lower cuff. Students wore inverted chevrons (point up) to indicate class assignment.

The Heeresmusikschule (Army Music Schools) wore the same collar tabs and uniforms but with lyre embroidered on the shoulder straps.

A dark green or black marksmanship Lanyard (without the plaque) was allowed to be wear after qualifying on the rifle range. Later with was changed and the first pattern badge or a cap eagle was affixed to the lanyard....'

Guest Rick Research

I'd say they took them much earlier than 16. Remembering a photo album, I'd say they must have taken orphans or whatever as young as 10 or so and just schooled them until normal military age. They were LITTLE kids.