News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Stogieman,

As you know, I am not very big on Saxony, but I have to say that your Rossner Commander is off the chart :jumping: . Please feel free to post more pictures of this badge... :love: anytime... :love::love: .

Also, can you give us more information about the knight?s cross in post #47? Is it mounted on a bar? What else is in the group? Etc.

Anytime... :love::love::love:

Wild Card

• Replies 65
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi WC, you have excellent eyes. The cross was in an eBay group a number of years back. The group was posted up for sale, skyrocketed in price, then was pulled and vanished. For those interested, what you have here is an 1870 St. Henry RK in gold that was actually turned back in to the Orders Chancelry and re-issued during WW1! That is exactly what (in theory at least) was supposed to happen. The second St. Henry Ribbon held a medal to the order, but anyone's guess if gold or silver. By far the nicest St. Henry Order to appear on eBay ever.........

Hi Stogieman,

Many thanks for the additional information. I have to agree that this would have to be the ultimate St. Henry bar and that to find such an old piece on a bar is really beyond the norm.

I am confused on one point though; and, as you know, being virtually ignorant of Saxon awards (too much for me), I imagine that there is a logical answer. In post #52, you mention that the St. Henry RK is an 1870 model. To me, it looks very much like the one in posts #43 and #44 where the crown is fixed to the cross, which I always thought was a circa 1810-15 piece. Further, I had understood that the 1870-1 crosses had a separately hinged crown like the one below. Where am I going wrong on this?

Best wishes,

Wild Card

Hi Stogieman,

Many thanks for the additional information. I have to agree that this would have to be the ultimate St. Henry bar and that to find such an old piece on a bar is really beyond the norm.

I am confused on one point though; and, as you know, being virtually ignorant of Saxon awards (too much for me), I imagine that there is a logical answer. In post #52, you mention that the St. Henry RK is an 1870 model. To me, it looks very much like the one in posts #43 and #44 where the crown is fixed to the cross, which I always thought was a circa 1810-15 piece. Further, I had understood that the 1870-1 crosses had a separately hinged crown like the one below. Where am I going wrong on this?

Best wishes,

Wild Card

Hallo WC

The NC seen on post #43 and #44 where also awarded 1870/71 and to begin of the WW1.

Look on "Die Orden des K?nigreiches Sachsen" from Weber / Arnold / Keil.

On Page 264 and 269 you see the bar of Oberst Hermann Rudolph von Keller who got the NC 1970 and Generalmajor Charles Garke who got his NC 1914. Both NC on the bar is like the on on post #43 and #44.

Thank for show this beautiful pieces.

Regards

Alex

Hello jaba1914

I see what you mean and I thank you for the information. My guess is that up until the 1870-71 war, the Orders Chancellory was able to issue from original stock and returned pieces. Then the demand caused by the 1870-71 war exceeded this stock so some new pieces had to be made; and that is when the manufacture changed to the separate crown.

Going with this assumption, Oberst von Keller?s award makes perfect sense, while Generalmajor Garke was exceptionally fortunate to have gotten such a beautiful old (returned) piece as late as 1914.

As an aside, I remember a case where available research revealed a Bavarian Military Max Joseph Order knight?s cross awarded to an officer in WWI which had rested in the Orders Chancellory since it had been returned by a French general who received it during the Napoleonic Wars.

Thank you again and best wishes,

Wild Card

• 2 weeks later...

My twin will hate me for posting this photo.... but there's only one way to appreciate this order when you cannot hold it in your sweaty (cotton glove encased) hands. My Roessner Commander's Cross 2.

Hello!

Wow, impressive.

All the best :jumping::jumping::jumping::jumping::beer:

Nesredep

• 8 years later...

One of the early awards, probably 1870-1871. Order shows some heavy wear on the bottom portion of the front medallion. It looks like recipient awarded with this order proudly wear it for a long time. Does anybody have any information on number of SHO awarded during Franco-Prussian war.

10g.jpg

1 hour ago, GlennC said:

One of the early awards, probably 1870-1871. Order shows some heavy wear on the bottom portion of the front medallion. It looks like recipient awarded with this order proudly wear it for a long time. Does anybody have any information on number of SHO awarded during Franco-Prussian war.

10g.jpg

Hi GlennC

For 1870 GC 4, Commander 1st class 3, Commander 2nd class 4 & Knight 90

1871            Commander  1st class 3, Commander 2nd class 2 & Knight 26

The example looks to be from 1807-15

Thank you for your reply. I have been told it was Franco-Prussian war period piece. But if it's earlier decoration it is even better. Do you have information on how many Knight orders were issued during that period. 

56 minutes ago, GlennC said:

Thank you for your reply. I have been told it was Franco-Prussian war period piece. But if it's earlier decoration it is even better. Do you have information on how many Knight orders were issued during that period. 

It could have been a reissue for the 1870/71 War.  They are rare in any grade.

1807 Knight 64

1808 Knight 32

1809 Knight 168

1810 Knight 51

1811 Knight 17

1812 Knight 86

1813 Knight 94

1815 Knight 4

1816 Knight 6

Hope this helps, unfortunately not too many have survived.