News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1823 Portrait Miniature of the Tsar?

Guest Rick Research

Guest Rick Research

This tiny little (the entire framed portrait is about the size of a thumbprint) miniature under glass came by to visit today. My only suggestion to my friend the owner is that it might be the Tsar:

That is clearly an Order of Saint George cross.

Guest Rick Research

Front

By A. Becker 1823? From A. Becker 1823? To A. Becker 1823?

Obtained in Germany in 1945.

Guest Rick Research

:cheers: Thanks George! :cheers:

I suspect all the flaws are in the glass/crystal... it is SO tiny that they are impossible to see with just eyes but look huge under this magnification.

Is the tiny folded up piece of paper simply a typical way for the artist to have "signed," or would this bear a "secret message" to a recipient from the gift giver?

Guest Rick Research

The actual portrait is roughly the size of a fingernail. :speechless1: I have no clue how it was humanly possible to have gotten so much detail into something so incredibly small. It's gone home now, but this is about the REAL size of it:

Guest Rick Research

Can't tell what the micro portrait's on-- it's completely painted over whatever is in there. So is that what was usually used?