News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

General Officer Wollesley?

http://www.manions.com/bid/bid.aspx~itemid...27~pic~20080404

I was looking through this auction site and came across the above item.

I don't know much about Wollesleys, but this seems plausible. At the same time, the idea of a bullion badge on a pith helmet seems a little bit ridiculous to me and I wonder if its a put-together?

Any ideas?

~TS Allen

I've always been very careful when buying on manions, I mostly use it to purchase field gear and modern items for my airsoft team.

Still, while the German section has a (deserved) reputation as full of fakes, most items in the US section are quite worth it. I've bought a few unquestionable items on manions that I purchased for as little as 1/10 of what they're worth, and the fact that people are catious to buy from manions only helps along the deal as far as I'm concerned, it means no one bids against me!!!!

And, at least in the US and British sections, Manions staff are very helpful in filling out the description. I once sent them a set of regulations for an item and got back about ten paragraphs about the item in question noting where it differed from regulations. And it was a particularly expensive item either (a few hundred dollars at most).

~TS

• 1 year later...

I couldn't view the picture, probably been removed by now, but I have never seen a Wolseley with a bullion badge. I have over 30 Ws in my collection and have seen many, many more.

The Dress Regulations state that no badges are to be worn on the khaki Wolseley but they were.

I wouldn't touch this one with the proverbial barge pole.

Stuart

Edited by Stuart Bates