News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

infantery shoulder boards: soviet or bulgarian?

Guest Rick Research

Are you questioning the style of how the stars are attached? Those stars look like standard "nipple-starfish" ones to me.

Here are a pair of Soviet pre-1943 infantry insignia with the same holed domed screw disks (steel with a gilt finish):

so this was a style of attachment that was used in the Soviet Union.

Are you questioning the style of how the stars are attached? Those stars look like standard "nipple-starfish" ones to me.

Here are a pair of Soviet pre-1943 infantry insignia with the same holed domed screw disks (steel with a gilt finish):

so this was a style of attachment that was used in the Soviet Union.

Rick,

I held these stars in my hand. They are not as you perceive them to be.

First, the screwdisks are aluminum.

Second, these stars are extremely thick, much thicker than regular Soviet stars of that period.

Third, they are made of very thin white metal plate.

All in all, the boards are most likely regular Soviet issue, but the stars are something I (or Sebastien) have never encountered before.

Marc

Guest Rick Research

Aluminum is very strange. I've never seen that used on anything that could be firmly DATED before backings on the 1957 Leningrad Jubilee Medal.

So would you date the boards from the Khruschev era?

Aluminum is very strange. I've never seen that used on anything that could be firmly DATED before backings on the 1957 Leningrad Jubilee Medal.

So would you date the boards from the Khruschev era?

Rick,

The boards are M45 without question, now, they could have been (and most likely were) produced in the 1950's.

The question remains about the stars, which are of a type and style that I have never encountered before on Soviet uniforms.

Marc

Rick,

The boards are M45 without question, now, they could have been (and most likely were) produced in the 1950's.

The question remains about the stars, which are of a type and style that I have never encountered before on Soviet uniforms.

Marc

hello gentlemen , I put off the star and saw differences in gold patina on the shoulderboard. The bullion is clearer under the stars, so I can conclude they've been screwed some years ago. Would it be a wearer fantasy?

I advanced the bulgarian hypothesis because I tend to believe the bulgarian stars are raised like those I shown you.