News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I've had this photo for ages and I don't think I ever posted it. I got this and a Unterseebootschule tally from a family that said their Grandfather(photo) was on a sub in WW1.

Now for a few questions:

What is the chevron on his sleeve for? and also whats the white cross on the knot of his cape (is it called a cape???)

and last but not least is there anyway to tell if indeed he was on a sub from this photo.

Very nice Family, I have the name and the tally in the basement and will post those here as soon as I can

thanks

Eric

Edited by Eric K.

Guest Rick Research

Looks like a yellow Obermatrose (Gefreiter) chevron. There is actually a specialty rating inside the V above the chevron but I can't make it out because you don't have an Epson scanner. :P Yellow turns "black" in these old photos, so it disappears against navy blue.

The sneaker lace is just to tie on the sailor's jumper flap (I don't know what that's called, either) kerchief.

There is a chance that you could confirm the Uboot association if the Branchenabz. could be clearly seen. Can you make it out on the original? Seidene Halstuch = silk neckerchief.

Chip