News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Podolsk Archive to Close/Relocate!?

To all:

Some potentially very disturbing news out of Russia:

"В конце марта в Подольском Архиве был с инспекцией Министр Обороны некто Сердюков. Он очень недоумевал, как такая большая территория ЗЕМЛИ ещё до сих пор не продана. И почему до сих пор НИ КОМУ НЕ НУЖНЫЙ Архив существует. Принято решение в рамках одного из НАЦИОНАЛЬНЫХ ПРОЕКТОВ ЦАМО ЗАКРЫТЬ, а територию сдать коммерсантам, якобы для строительства жилья для военных. Знаем мы, какие там для военных будут построены дома. Скоро на территории БЫВШЕГО АРХИВА будут увеселительные заведения функционировать! Неизвестно, куда будет перевезён Архив. И что во время этого мероприятия потеряется или погибнет. Сколько женщин-архивохранителей в одночасье потеряют работу? И как у чиновника, да и просто человека, поднимается рука на святое?"

Regards,

slava1stclass

Well, possibly interesting? Who knows?

What I get from one translation program is

At the end of March in the Archives of Podolski was with the inspection Defense Minister someone Serdyukov. Nedoumeval He is such a big EARTH still not sold. And why is still NOT TO NI NUZHNY Archive exists. It was decided in one of the NATIONAL PROJECT TSAMO CLOSE, and merchants to hand the territory, ostensibly to build housing for the military. Knowing we are there for military homes will be built. Soon, the territory will FORMER ARHIVA entertainment establishments to operate! Unknown, which will be transported Archive. And that at the time of the event lost or perish. How many women arhivohraniteley overnight lose their jobs? And as a civil servant, and just rights, raises hand for holy?

and from another

In the end of March in Podolsk Archive there was with inspection a Minister of Defence somebody Сердюков. It very much was perplexed, how such greater territory of the GROUND still till now is not sold. And why till now to WHOM NOT the NECESSARY Archive exists. The decision within the limits of one of NATIONAL PROJECTS ЦАМО is accepted TO CLOSE, and територию to hand over to businessmen, ostensibly for construction of habitation for militarians. We what there for militarians will be constructed the at home know. Soon in territory of FORMER ARCHIVE there will be pleasure institutions will function! It is not known, where the Archive will be transported. Also that during this action it will be lost or will be lost. How many women-??????????? suddenly will lose work? And how at the official, and easier person, the hand on sacred rises?

Still not sure I understand the "English" here any better than the Russian.

Guest Rick Research

As we have always feared, it appears that the archives will be "moved" and then....

So: what is researched, is researched. But this would appear to be the end of that, forever.

Given the state of things over there(or a similar move here, for that matter), I cannot imagine centuries (they've still got TSARIST records) of records being moved efficiently and intact to....

where? NOWHERE--

Lost, tossed, discarded, stolen...

gone will be gone.

Just another Library of Alexandria loss.

As we have always feared, it appears that the archives will be "moved" and then....

So: what is researched, is researched. But this would appear to be the end of that, forever.

Given the state of things over there(or a similar move here, for that matter), I cannot imagine centuries (they've still got TSARIST records) of records being moved efficiently and intact to....

where? NOWHERE--

Lost, tossed, discarded, stolen...

gone will be gone.

Just another Library of Alexandria loss.

Guys,

I would not necessarily be that negative. A couple of years ago, the State Archives were moved from its old place to a brand new, high-tech building in St Petersburg.

The Russian are very proud of and highly value their heritage, and especially so their military history. I'd wait to pass judgement until we effectively know the details of the plan at hand.

Marc

Guys,

I would not necessarily be that negative. A couple of years ago, the State Archives were moved from its old place to a brand new, high-tech building in St Petersburg.

The Russian are very proud of and highly value their heritage, and especially so their military history. I'd wait to pass judgement until we effectively know the details of the plan at hand.

Marc

I agree with Marc on this one. Remember that the Archives are not there to research collector's awards (gasp, heresy!) but are there to support the veterans. Although we can get great things from the Archives, they have a bigger reason to exist and chances are that because of that reason, the Archives will be taken care of in a decent manner.

The smart people would be buying commercial property in Padolsk though... when I was there in 1996 it was a very small town and the Archives were quite large. If they are planning on turning them into housing, it will bring thousands of new residents to the city.

Dave

Guest Rick Research

Truckloads... mysteriously disappear.

Crates... get left out in the rain in depots no one remembers.

The dread of my life is one lit cigarette butt and WHOOSH :speechless1:

but having observed and participated :rolleyes: the mass moving of VERY MESSY paper...

things have a habit of simply Ceasing To Be... whether actually tossed, or lost within their new home.

Once something gets moved from where its staff (assuming that they care, which is not always the case) has always known that "it" is... the effort of HUNTING for something misplaced can turn into

why bother at all?

THAT is what I regret may happen.

It has been my personal experience that most archives are actually like the monastery library in Umberto Eco's "Name of the Rose." Once the PEOPLE who understand their idiosyncratic, random (to anyone else) "system" cannot undertsand it any more...

• 1 month later...

You must bear in mind that there is a sliding table of time-estimate translations working in Soviet phaleristic research similar to the one used in computer programming: If you're told it will take an hour it will take a day, if you are told it will take a day it will take a week, if you are told it will take a week it will take a month, if you are told it will take a month it will take a year, etc.

Edited by Ed_Haynes