News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Slatin Pasha - which is his Full Medal entitlement ?

lilo

Hi All,

I'm searching the FULL medal entitlement of an eminent Austrian person : Sir Rudolf Anton Carl von Slatin (1857-1932).

Any idea of the awards he received expecially from 1900 up to the end of WW1 (He received many 'foreign' awards) ?

During WW1 he was president of the prisoners-of-war section of the AUSTRIAN RED CROSS : was for this rewarded with some Order / Decoration ??

Many Thanks

All the Best

Lilo

• 3 years later...

Hi Lilo,

I have just joined this site & found your question. As Sir Rudolf von Slatin was my grandfather, I would be happy to furnish you with a list of all his medals, if you are still interested.

Best wishes

galitzine

Hi All,

I'm searching the FULL medal entitlement of an eminent Austrian person : Sir Rudolf Anton Carl von Slatin (1857-1932).

Any idea of the awards he received expecially from 1900 up to the end of WW1 (He received many 'foreign' awards) ?

During WW1 he was president of the prisoners-of-war section of the AUSTRIAN RED CROSS : was for this rewarded with some Order / Decoration ??

Many Thanks

All the Best

Lilo

Hi Lilo,

I have just joined this site & found your question. As Sir Rudolf von Slatin was my grandfather, I would be happy to furnish you with a list of all his medals, if you are still interested.

Best wishes

galitzine

Hi galitzine,

WoW !!!!!!!!

Yes, surely I'm VERY VERY interested in obtaining the complete and detailed list of what your grandfather received (all the medals/Orders) .

If you could also supply some photo of the medals themselves it would be my ecstasy, so feel free to post them on this forum.

However, I would be very interested in obtaining some high resolution photo for my 'Sudan' database (in this case let me know if you need my email).

Awaiting to hear from you as soon as you can

Best Regards

Lilo

Edited by lilo

Hi Lilo,

Best wishes

galitzine

Hi galitzine,

Are you OK ?

Just the list is Wounderful !

Regards

Lilo

• 9 months later...

Hi Lilo,

Sorry to have been so slow to reply......it's been a busy year!

Here's a list of all the medals awarded to my grandfather Rudolf Slatin:

A collection of medals presented to Baron Sir Rudolf Carl Slatin Pasha, 1858-1932:

Order of the Bath, C.B. breast badge, gold

Order of St Michael and St George, K.C.M.G. set, silver gilt badge

Royal Victorian Order, G.C.V.O. set, number 376

Royal Victorian Order, M.V.O. badge

Egypt, one clasp The Nile 1884-85 (Col. Slatin Pasha)}

Khedive's Star, undated

Queen's Sudan Medal

Khedive's Sudan; five clasps: Firkett, Hafir, Sudan 1897, Khartoum, Bahr-el-Ghazel 1900-02

Coronation George V medal 1911

Austria, Order of Franz Joseph, neck badge

Denmark, Order of Dannebrog, gold neck badge (CIXR) and breast cross

Mecklenberg-Schwerin, Griffin, 2nd class neck badge, silver gilt

Prussia, Order of the Crown, 2nd class neck badge, gold

Saxony, Order of Albrecht, 2nd type, Grand Cross set silver gilt

Saxe-Weimar, White Falcon, 2nd class set, gold

Wurttemberg, Friedrich, 2nd class star

Vatican, Order of St Gregory, 2nd class cross set (military)

I am happy to post pictures of his medals but am having difficulty with file sizes as can only upload 110kbs, which makes the pictures very small. Is there a solution to this problem?

Here is a picture of him wearing the full regalia.

file://localhost/Users/georgegalitzine/Desktop/RSlatin.1.jpg

As a Khedival/Ottoman bey, likely he would have Osmanie/Medjidjie grades as well. The image appears to show a Belgian/Congo Free State Lion Order badge in the first position and an Italian Maurice & Lazarus before the White Falcon.

Lilo,

I have many photos from my grandfather in the Sudan, & photos of all his medals but would prefer to send these to you by email.....

regards

galitzine

Hi galitzine,

Many, many thanks !!!!

As requested I have sent you my email by PM

I would enjoy very much to receive the photos of your grandfather but I would like that you start with the Full medal group (possibly in colour)

Awaiting to hear from you

Best Regards

Lilo

Hello Galitzine,

Thank you for providing access to these images!! Very impressive decorations and excellent photos. Simply wonderful that family members retain so many of his awards.

The photo images confirm at least Slatin's Osmanie [commander?] badge and a Medjidjie star as well as a Maurice and Lazarus [commander?] badge. In the 4th image the first award before the bar may well be a Congo Free State/Belgian Lion Order [commander?] badge.

And the decoration image includes awards [Austrian Elizabeth Order and red cross medal on bow] possibly attributable to Baroness Alice von Ramberg [his wife].

Edited by 922F

Great photos!

Lilo, for your records, he was awarded the Danish Dannebrog (Commander 1. class) on the 29. July 1902.

I would be very interested to have a close-up of the lower 3 round medals (under the red cross badge) in the photo with all the medals/orders.

I am curious to find out which swedish medal (the one with the special suspension) he or his wife was awarded.

/Michael

Is it possible to get a photo of the reverse of the swedish medal (or just a description of the text on the reverse)?

Thanks, Michael

Hello galitzine,

Many tank for all the photos you posted : they are very beautiful and they are helping so much my re-search project !

Michael,

thank you for the information you posted about the Danish Dannebrog awarded to Slatin Pasha.

A couple of questions :

1) I would like to ask you to correctly identify which medal is the swedish medal (the one with the special suspension) in which you, also, are interested.

2) I’m greatly interested in knowing which is the correct ribbon from which this swedish medal should be suspended.

Again, thank you in advance

Best Regards

Lilo

Lilo,

Problem with many swedish medals are, that the obverse looks identical (apart from the different kings). The medal shown could be for zeal, life saving, art & science, red cross etc. It is necessary to see the reverse to find out.

The ribbon will depend on which medal it turns out to be. Most likely it's dark blue with thin yellow edges, but we can't be sure.

/Michael

Lilo, Problem with many swedish medals are, that the obverse looks identical (apart from the different kings). The medal shown could be for zeal, life saving, art & science, red cross etc. It is necessary to see the reverse to find out. The ribbon will depend on which medal it turns out to be. Most likely it's dark blue with thin yellow edges, but we can't be sure. /Michael

Hi Martin,

Thank you for the answer.

I like to make some speculation a propos of this medal …….

If you see the photo containing Slatin’s Medals and Orders, you easily can see that he received many awards related to the Red Cross. The only reason I can think for the award of the Swedish medal to Slatin is for his presidency of the Austrian Red Cross during WW1. Then, could the Swedish medal be that of the Red Cross ?

On the web I saw that a Swedish named Tisell received this medal in 1921 with others :

- Swedish Red Cross Gold Medal.

- Prussian Red Cross medal.

- The German Red Cross Merit medal.

- Austrian Red Cross Merit medal.

- Austrian Red Cross Public Merit medal.

http://www.ordersand...edMisc/S110.htm

A similar Red Cross group to that of Slatin, isn’t it ?

However, excluding the medals for ‘Life Saving’ and that for ‘Art & Science’, the other that could be possible, is that for ‘ZEAL’ but again, for me, that for the ‘Red Cross’ was the most probable.

What do you think ?

Last, considering that Slatin Pasha died in 1932 and that he received the Swedish medal for his work with the Austrian Red Cross during WW1, I think that the King on the Swedish medal should be - almost certainly – that of King Gustav V of Sweden (that reigned 1907-1950).

Any comment is appreciated

The Swedish Red Cross medal :

Edited by lilo

But do we know if the medal was awarded to him or to his wife?

/Michael

We really never know for sure till our friend galitzine will have the possibility to access his bank vault and see the back of the medal itself but considering that of all medals present in the photo I referred to before (that with all the awards) the only attributable to Slatin’s wife are only those two suspended by the 'bow ribbon', I retain more probable that the Swedish medal was awarded to him.

(Slatin married Baroness Alice von Ramberg on 21 June 1914. She died in 1921 : too little time to receive a large amount of awards !)

Another consideration that could corroborate my theory :

As the medal have lost his ribbon I think that it is more easy – for the particular structure of a ‘male’ ribbon - to go lost in opposition to the ‘bow ribbon’ used in the medals awarded to females : this last is more difficult – at least in theory – to go lost.

What do you think ?

Edited by lilo