• 1 month later...

sow the medal onto the ribbon and the card. The reverse is hidden by the original paper that is in the windows plus the postcard on the other side.

Hello!

Very informative. :rolleyes::jumping::jumping::jumping:

All the best :beer:

Nesredep

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Very nice presentation!

I'm wondering though? a: don't the medals damage the paperwork which is on the opposite page? b) doesn't the book get to heavy/thick to handle? c) don't the medals get damaged by the splitpin pushing at the back of them cause of the weight of the whole book?

cheers!

Thanks for the comments

Very nice presentation!

I'm wondering though? a: don't the medals damage the paperwork which is on the opposite page? b) doesn't the book get to heavy/thick to handle? c) don't the medals get damaged by the splitpin pushing at the back of them cause of the weight of the whole book?

cheers!

I take onboard your comments and I have already thought about this.

I have taken some leaves of the photo album out as it was getting kind of awkward, medals are ok and the photos the way I have arranged them. I have found a guy who lives local who restores books etc for a living, to a really high standard. I intend to meet up with him and discuss perhaps setting up the book so there are no worries with regards pressure on the medals (most important). I find the medals are ok and the paperwork, it's the book which is taking the flak!

I still intend to carry on with this method and I guess it was inevitable that I would come across problems, so I found a solution (I hope).

Watch this space

Hi

I like this alot-where did you get the book from?

Cheers

Perce

Off ebay for ?20, they pop up from time to time.

• 4 months later...

This is great! My main area of interest is also Imperial Germany and like you I have started collecting photographs, postcards, death cards that show holders of the decorations. I've done quite of bit of research from my British medals since they are named and really found that part of the collecting experience interesting and fulfilling - to know something about the men and their war experiences make the medals more real. Collecting named photos or cards showing the decorations make an equalling interesting link for other countries' decorations. I've even been able to do this with one Italian soldier from WWI.

Since this is my first post in the GMIC, I must say this is precisely why I think I will enjoy this forum - sharing original ideas. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Very creative presentation. Are you concerned about acid damage? I may have missed it but this doesn't look like acid free paper.

My wife's best friend is a papers conservator by profession so I get lectured constantly about not touching my autographs bare handed and making sure they are mounted acid free.

Again - great idea.

Colin

Very creative presentation. Are you concerned about acid damage? I may have missed it but this doesn't look like acid free paper.

My wife's best friend is a papers conservator by profession so I get lectured constantly about not touching my autographs bare handed and making sure they are mounted acid free.

Again - great idea.

Colin

Not sure on that but I think they will be alright, will check them periodically so should be ok.

thinking of loaning 'the book' to a local museum so others can see the story.

Edited by EuRob
  • 2 weeks later...