News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medal or Order of National Unity - Sudan?

This is an item I obtained in Khartoum.

The medal in the first photograph has its ribbon attached.

I am of the opinion that the complete or correct award would be one with the enamel flag as shown in the second photograph.

I did not find a reference to this medal in Ed's article or in the list that Owain provided in November last year when replying to another thread regarding Sudanese awards.

Possibly it has another description besides the one that I have had directly translated from the medal?

Let me check my notes, much richer than what I have online, but I think this is a new one. Typical Sudanese design.

:jumping:

Thanks,I will keep posting what I have found if you think that it is a worthwhile process.I know some of the medals are well known, e.g. the 1933 General Service Medal.

I understand that Eng Leong of Singapore signed a contract with Khartoum to supply order and medal insignia several years ago. Do you know if they are still the supplier? EL marks (and hallmarks) some of their products. (This example does not appear to be of their usual quality work.) Any marks on these?

You may wish to check OMSA or other organizations' ribbon banks for proper ribbon or something close. Bacqueville Cie. and Marie Stuart at the Palais Royal in Paris have a fair selection of ribbon but one must visit in person. To the best of my experience, Spinks has NEVER been helpful; Ed Joslin claimed all pre WW II materials were destroyed in the Blitz but that simply is not true. In the 1960s, Jim Risk could get ribbon out of them but even he "lost favor" in the late '80s.

With regard to the posted images the award illustrated in the 1980 Spink Protocol publication is with enamelled flags but to confuse matters the award illustrated by Spink has the narrow 'spikes' of the unenamelled example shown by Sabrigade. Also their 'bird' head faces left, as one looks at it, as it does with all DRS insignia.

As to the terms of the award, I had thought to provide a summary, but I quote if full from the 1974 Act:

"This Order shall be awarded to citizens, whether military or civilian, who approach the May Revolution with complete and untainted allegiance to its principles and objectives. For dedictaing their efforts in thought and deed, in mobilizing their powers and capabilities in complete preparation for building, construction and in maintenance of the unity of the homeland, in fighting off all tyrannies in trust of the unity of object, in maintenance of unity of the column and in abiding by the Charter of its national work, emanating from its political organisation." Who writes this stuff?

Concerning Spink I was told some years ago that the reason that there were a number of Sudan awards available in the UK market was that the Sudan Government had not paid their dues in full to Spink and thus awards were retained and when Spink closed/sold off thier manufacturing arm, located in Raynes Park, a number of awards from various nations came onto the market. Before the relocation of Spink from St. James's and the departure of various staff to other companies I found these staff to be most helpful, however as with most companies you will need to build up a relationship with individuals.

Kind regards from a sand storm swept Riyadh,

Owain

Owain