News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soldier's Medal to a Dutchmen

How many soldier's medals where given to Dutch soldiers in the Korean War?

I'm in the process of buying a WWII RAF/Dutch Army - Indonesia and Korea medalgroup with Dutch, French, British, American and Korean medals and bravery awards including a Soldier's Medal, Bronze Star, Chung-mu and Croix de Guerre and would like to now how rare these American awards are to a Dutchmen,

The seller of this group (his son) told me that his father always use to tell that he earned one of these medals for saving the life of an officer in Korea. Could the SM been given for such an act?

Yes, if it placed the rescuer in peril. I have never seen this medal awarded to a non US service member before. Do you have the story of what happened, exactly? I have never seen a Dutchman with US awards before. I have seen lots of Germans with US awards, but not Dutch.

The son is looking in his fathers papers to see if he can find out more.

I have a document and a citation for the Bronze Star. (will show those later)

A lot of Silver Stars, Bronze Stars, Purple Hearts, etc where awarded to Dutch soldiers in Korea.

Here is the bar of a veteran friend;

24o3uv6.jpg

Hello Paul. I have seen one Dutch veteran wearing a PH years ago.

I was just reading about the PH and read that the are only awarded to American Soldiers. Very strange...

Dutch soldiers also received the Legion of Merit and the Medal of Freedom for actions in Korea.

Citation Bronze Star Medal

Headquarters Eight United States Army

ATO 301

Captain EDWIN ----, 291215007, Infantry, Netherlands Army. Captain ----, a member of the Netherlands Battalion, is cited for meritorious service in connection with military operations against an armed enemy in Korea during the period 25 September 1952 to 1 Augustus 1953. As a company executive officer, company commander, and motor transport officer at various times during this period, Captain ---- exhibited superior qualities of leadership, aggressiveness, and diligence. His comprehensive knowledge of military techniques and combat tactics and his willingness to assume additional responsibilities under extremely adverse conditions were instrumental in the outstanding combat success attained by the battalion. His loyalty, initiative, and devotion to duty earned him the respect and admiration of all those with whom he served. The meritorious service rendered by Captain ---- throughout this period reflects great credit on himself and the Netherlands Army.

Is this a normal citation for a Bronze Star Medal?

Republic of Korea

Office of the Minister of National Defence

21 october 1953

Citation Chungmu Distinguished Military Service Medal with Silver Star

The minister of National Defence, in accordance with the authority vested in him under the provision of the Presidential Order II, awards the Chungmu Distinguished Military Service Medal with Silver Star to

Captain EDWIN ------

231215007, Royal Netherlands Army

For exceptionally meritorious service in connection with military operations in Korea:

Captain EDWIN ---- 231215007, Infantry, Royal Netherlands Army, is cited for exceptionally meritorious service in connection with military operations against an armed enemy in Korea during the period 28 September 1952 to 2 august 1953. During this period, Captain --- exhibited exceptional ability in performing all the tasks that he was called upon. As Executive Officer of company ?E?, and later, Company ?A?, Captain --- showed exemplary efficiency and promptness in his dealing with various personnel matters and related problems. His competence was such, that the Company Commander was able to devote all his time to other matters. As Commander of Headquarters Company, Captain ----displayed admirable leadership qualities. Regardless of the job, Captain ---, throughout his tour of duty, worked only for the betterment of his unit. No task was to great or too small for hum to undertake and his devotion to duty set a brilliant example for others to follow. The eminently meritorious service rendered by Captain ---- throughout this period earned for him a deep respect and admiration of those with whom he served, and reflects great credit upon himself and the Royal Netherlands Army.

WON IL SOHN

Minister of National Defence

US awards to allied soldiers will appear in General Orders somewhere, but finding them can be a chore. For Korea, awards to Dutch soldiers will probably be in the General Orders of 8th Army, which are in the National Archives. The second most likely option is Far Eastern Command (MacArthur's headquarters). The GOs may or may not have a full citation.

Kevin Ingraham's book on Korean War awards notes 4 Legion of Merit awards, 14 Silver Stars, and 62 Bronze Stars (12 Chungmu with Silver Star) to Dutch soldiers for Korea.

Thanks, Is it possible for you to list these names?

Is a citation like this common for a Bronze Star?

Where could i find more info about the Soldier's medal. Would an award like that to a foreigner been publiced in an American Newspaper?

Unfortunately, I only have numbers and no names for Korean War awards. The names would be in the General Orders of 8th Army or Far Eastern Command, but finding them could take many hours of research in the National Archives.

The Bronze Star citation is similar to many others I've seen to allied troops.

The chance of an American newspaper running the story of a Soldier's Medal to a Dutch soldier is rather limited. I think it far more likely that the story would have been in a Dutch newspaper.

The Bronze Star can be either awarded for:

1. Valor in Combat

2. Meritorious Service in a Combat Zone.

If it was awarded for valor, a "V" device would be added to the ribbon. The citation for the medal above indicates that this specific award was for Meritorious Service, not valor.

• 2 months later...

I haven't checked in to this forum in a while; sorry for the thread bump.

A few months ago, I saw something online about a soldier with the Dutch Battalion in Korea receiving the Soldier's Medal; it was for rescuing someone in a mine field. I'll see if I can dig it up.

I haven't checked in to this forum in a while; sorry for the thread bump.

A few months ago, I saw something online about a soldier with the Dutch Battalion in Korea receiving the Soldier's Medal; it was for rescuing someone in a mine field. I'll see if I can dig it up.

I will look forward to seeing it!! I have never seen a Soldier's Medal awarded to a foreign military member before!! :jumping:

I will look forward to seeing it!! I have never seen a Soldier's Medal awarded to a foreign military member before!! :jumping:

Slight correction--it just dawned upon me that it was to a Belgian. I'll see if I can find it anyway.

Speaking of which, I saw a photo of either an Australian or Brit being awarded the SM, in WWII (it's in that softcover book about the SM).

Here 'tis:

Lieutenant Genis is awarded the following distinction by the President of the United States :

Member of the Belgian Battalion in Korea under the UN Command, has distinguished himself by his courageous and determined actions during the night of December 3rd 1951 at NALGUN DONG. Lt GENIS led his platoon through a minefield here a friendly patrol was stopped, suffering many causalities. Aided by Pvt VANBECELAERE he worked his way through the minefield. After one hour in complete darkness, he rendered al the mines safe and thus led the patrol safely back to the lines. This heroic action warrants great admiration for himself and also the Belgian Army.

With photo: http://belgian-volunteercorps-korea.be/eng...onlight%20e.htm

Edited by Mike Page

• 2 weeks later...