News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Help needed with identification

Hello everyone,

One of the sideline projects I've been thinking of starting is the matching of actual medals to photos of recipients. I am going to keep to unnamed medals such as the ones this officer in the photo is wearing as I don't want to feature named medals with another recipient's photo in my collection. I thought it would add a little more interesting look to my collection.

Can anyone tell me what medals this soldier is wearing? The one on the far right looks to be the 60th Anniversary of the reign of Franz Joseph, the middle one might be the 50th Anniversary medal but I don't know what the first cross would be. Perhaps the middle one isn't the 50th Anniversary I was just thinking that there would only be 10 years between the two issues so it could be the 50th.

Also would anyone know what rank and/or unit this fellow belonged to. I'm pretty sure he is Austrian going by the medals.

As to dating the photo, if the middle medal is the 50th Anniversary of the reign of Franz Joseph then would this place the photo around 1898 or at least between 1898 and 1908?

Your help with this is greatly appreciated.

Cheers :cheers:

Brian

Guest Rick Research

Some sort of administrative official, I think. It looks like rosettes on his Oberleutnant level collar patches rather than the pointy stars of combatant troops.

An NCO's military long service Cross (can't tell which one since the Roman numerals in the center don't show), the MILITARY 1898 Jubilee Medal but the CIVIL SERVICE 1908 Jubilee Cross-- both on red ribbons.

I forgot to mention that this is a cabinet photo and not a photo/postcard. I've included a photo of the reverse of the photo's card in case there is something there that can help with the identification.

Many thanks

Brian

Some sort of administrative official, I think. It looks like rosettes on his Oberleutnant level collar patches rather than the pointy stars of combatant troops.

An NCO's military long service Cross (can't tell which one since the Roman numerals in the center don't show), the MILITARY 1898 Jubilee Medal but the CIVIL SERVICE 1908 Jubilee Cross-- both on red ribbons.

Hi Rick,

Wow! That was fast!

Many thanks for the information.

Cheers :cheers:

Brian

Brian,

I agree with Rick on the tunic. Unfortunately, because it is a black and white photo there is no way of telling what branch of the Administrative service he would have belonged to. The colour of the collar and trim on the cuffs would have told us that.

Regards,

Gordon

Brian,

I agree with Rick on the tunic. Unfortunately, because it is a black and white photo there is no way of telling what branch of the Administrative service he would have belonged to. The colour of the collar and trim on the cuffs would have told us that.

Regards,

Gordon

Thanks Gordon

Brian

• 7 months later...
    hunyadi: I don?t think so... its 100 % military service cross.. memorial cross 1912/13 (mobilisation cross) would be placed behind jubilee medal and jubilee cross. and ribbon on the foto is for military service cross... Edited by Iver