News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Eastern Front medal with strange button

Hello Alex,

Sorry I can't tell you anything about the button, but the medal looks very suspect to me. The lack of detail and soft features make me question it's authenticity. Just my opinion. I hope someone can identify the button for you.

Regards - Danny

Hello Alex,

Sorry I can't tell you anything about the button, but the medal looks very suspect to me. The lack of detail and soft features make me question it's authenticity. Just my opinion. I hope someone can identify the button for you.

Regards - Danny

Thanks Danny!

I took a closer look at the medal, and now I agree that it is a fake. It feels significantly lighter than the other that I have. Also, like you said, it lacks detail, and it is not a perfect circle.

Oh well banger.gif

That still doesn't explain the button though. Even if it is a fake as well, I would still like to know what it was supposed to represent. Was it only included on some variations of the medal, or is it something just "made up?"

Thanks!

-Alex

• 1 month later...

This medal was actually acquired by a relative of mine, an antiques dealer, well over 30 years ago. Were fakes common that long ago?

-Alex

Hallo Alex, :cheers:

A lot of iii Reich items were being faked in the 1970's, in lead or zinc.

Hopefully G.M.I.C. member Robert Lumsden, sees this thread,

I am sure he could add something to the discussion.

Can you post a pictures showing a close-up of the front, rear, (Less the button)

and the rim of this particular medal? also weight and dimensions.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

Hi,

sorry, I have my problems with the question:

"Were fakes common that long ago?"

30 years?

All Third Reich decorations were made new in the fifties, the sixties and all the time to this day, as copies or fakes. And several tinnies too.

Regards

Uwe

When I started picking up a few 3R items when I was a kid in the late 1960's fakes were rife - that's why I've got a fake EKII.

Rudolf Souval was the big name for newly made 3R items at that time, I even have a little soft cover book on spotting the fakes, ppublished about 1970.