News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Anyone else "Building the Bismarck" ?

Gordon Williamson

• Replies 79
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With brass cladding added. Still needing a lot of work on filling / smoothing around the joints. Plenty work for the fine jeweller files. Four of these to be done of course but I'm only this far into the first.

The the same process for the secondary armament turrets. Repetitive and tedious at times so a bit of a break was needed.

• 2 weeks later...
    • 2 months later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Sure.

Lots of fiddly little sub-assemblies. recently. The basic turrets for main and secondary armament now just about complete, but still with the detailing to be added. Ships boats have arrived, but not assembled yet. Lovely little models in their own right.

The frustrating thing with these part works is that you can only build them in the order they release the parts, so you have lots of part-finished sub-assemblies awating the final few components.

Decking has arrived. Beautifully printed, wafer thin wood.

Here are the aircraft hangars, assembled and primed but still with some finishing work to do ( gap filling etc- wooden parts don't quite fit as flawlessly as injection moulded plastic !)

Again, this is only primer paint, but its quite near the real colour. The final coat with then have some shading and highlighting added to accentuate the detail, but you can see the level of detail than can be achieved in 1/200 compared with the 1/350 plastic kit equivalent !

Okay, I've sat some of the assemblies onto the unfinished deck just to show the proportions etc.

She is now sitting in her block of styrene foam. This far from the finished product - stained and varnished wood edging will cover the currently blackened (because I got fed up looking at the white foam) sides of this foam block and a proper name plate added. The first stage of the "sea" has been sculpted but a lot more work on this to do yet. Haven't decided whether to just give the "water" heavy coats of gloss varinsh or to use a thin layer of clear resin, probably the latter.

Again the hull is just primed and will need to be sprayed in the correct colour with the appropriate "camouflage" . I'm almost certainly going to go with her final scheme where the black/white stripes of the "Baltic" scheme were painted out, leaving just the darker grey "false bow" and "false stern".

I want to finish the base and hull fairly soon, and add the main decking so I will have a completed and finished "body" to fit the various assemblies to. The edges of the hull are already marked for the tiny holes to be drilled to take the railing stanchions.

The German release is several months ahead of the UK so I'be been following that on-line and knowing what comes next it looks like the last few issues are the myriad of small deck fittings which festoon any lasrge warship. At least in 1/200 they won't need extra fine tweesers and mangifying glasses to handle !

absolutely stunning!!! The hanger is fantastic! I feel much better now that I have had my observation fix.

Truely my favorite ship ever. I have been building models of him (this ship was not known as a she) since I was 9 years old (oh so long ago).

Keep us posted,

Terrence

• 3 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    • 1 month later...
    • 1 month later...

Things are progressing. The base is now boxed in with mahogany with brass corners. The sea has been painted and varnished. All the portholes have been added ( every single porthole is formed from a brass tube inserted into a drilled hole in the hull side).

The sea looked good until I added the varnish and the colour changed, so I will probably do this again as I think it looks too "blue". The North Atlantic looks more grey than blue !

All the superstructure parts are just sitting there for the photo but once the decking is added things will begin to move faster.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind comments guys. No major components in the latest batch of parts to arrive. What you see are the base units with the winches etc for the large aircraft cranes, plus some of the flak guns. Nice that they have correctly reflected that there were two distinct types of heavy flak mount.

Second shot with the coin is just to show the size of these little 3.7cm flak guns in 1/200 scale. A lot easier than working in 1/350 or 1/700 but still pretty tiny.

131 issues now in, from a total of 140. Next batch should be the stage where the wooden decks are attached and it should all start to come together quickly after that. At this stage many of the sub-assemblies still have a few parts that are still to come so can't be finished off yet. Aim to have it finished before Christmas.

• 1 month later...

Had to do a correction. The dark grey areas at the bow and stern were also painted over before she left on her final voyage, so only the false bow waves were left. ( I suppose in a way the hull of the model is now more accurate in having had the camo first applied, then overpainted just like the real ship :whistle: )