News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Anyone else "Building the Bismarck" ?

Gordon Williamson

The manufacturers (Amati of Italy) did a great job on the decks, accurately printed on wafer thin wood. You might just be able to make out the pin holes along the edge of the deck which will take the stanchions for the ships railings

The final parts are due to arrive in the next week or so. No major componenta just the myriad of tiny pieces, deck fittings etc etc which need to be added before the major sub-assemblies can be added. Assembly should be completed I hope before Xmas, but the rigging will probably be added later as this will no doubt be complex and time consuming.

• Replies 79
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
    • 3 weeks later...

Gordon

This is very beautiful, I noticed the large swastikas were not painted on yet, are you going to add them??

I am very amazed about your work:

Thank you for sharing the step by step mothed of building a beautiful life like model of the Bismarck

Lorenzo

Edited by IMHF

:love:

Totally amazing work!

I´m stunned, I have a 1:350 model of Titanic at home but that is a piece of cake comparing to this. Fantastic workmanship. Thanks for showing us, and of course Merry Christmas (even if it is a little early)

Christer

Thanks for the kind comments guys.

Difficult to say how many hours went into it as it was done over an extended period as the component parts were released. I guess in total somewhere around 300-400 hours over nearly three years

When I pass on, it will probably end up in a rubbish skip. :rolleyes:

Lorenzo - the large swastikas were only carried when she was in training in the Baltic. They were painted over in grey before she set off on her combat voyage, at the same time they painted out the black/white angular bars on her hull and superstructure.

Absolutely stunning Gordon, great to see the end result. Do you have a photo with it that shows the size of the overall model ?? I am guessing it is rather huge !

Must also add that the skill of the modeller shows through with the build as well.

Fantastic work !!!

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have a photo with it that shows the size of the overall model ?? I am guessing it is rather huge !

Bob,

Biggish, but not that huge. Quite small if you compare her with one of these shipyard models, but certainly enormous compared with the average plastic kit.

Here she is overall, with an example of the Fleet War Badge propped against her for scale.

• 1 month later...