News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hohenzollern 1848/49 Bar & Romanian

My latest bar....delving pre-Imperial now.....Anti-Revolutionary bar

Prussian Hohenzollern KDM 1848/49

Coronation King Wilhelm II 1861

Baden Commemorative 1849

Romanian Faithful Service 1877?

What rank does this fit?

Guest Rick Research

:love: That Rumanian one is weird-- can't pre-date the end of the 1870s, at earliest. So this guy must have been a court functionary with 30 some years of service, military and civil... and nothing from any German state to show for it?

That would NORMALLY suggest "awards moved off bar" to me-- except I think the Rumanian medal was given to NCO levels.,

Confused, but pleased to see a nice O-L-D bar like this.

"awards moved up" was my first guess, too, but methinks the same that the Romanian is more likely a NCO level award, and if he was still in the military he had his brooch below on the breast, for how long whatever - still it doesn't seem he stayed at the military as he hasn't awards for 1864, 1866 or 1870/71 - but the 1864 ribbon is used on the backside, so one could date the bar in at least that times without knowing when the Romanian was awarded (I wouldn't have an idea on that, honestly).

I love bars with foreign awards in last place, I love bars that early, I love especially bars with Baden 1849 medal - and the 1861 Prussian coronation medal is as well something rather special on a bar.

:catjava:

So, I also thought it was weird that he would have so much "time in" but nothing else from ANY state! either a short-lived NCO or "awards moved up" which might be a young officer.....I don't get to see many bars from this era, so much of this period is new to me, however I do like untouched bars, especially this early (saschaw -- i'm not tied to it, so I will earmark it for you).

Cheers,

Steve

Guest Rick Research

The Coronation Medal wasn't ahnded out to all and sundry, so that suggests somebody who was at Court... but without ANY of the usual "Lakai" awards?

Intriguing!!!!!

Steve, that is a fabulous and unusual bar, congratulations. I guess you'll be keeping it? Scott, I guess I beat you to the other bar, my apologies. However, some of the bars you've shown are out of this world, I love that Baden bar.