News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Shoulderboards for a Greatcoat

What are the dates on the buttons? Look at multiples in case any 1 is a replacement.

Hello Rick,

The buttons on the Greatcoat are dated 1958. So, I guess that this would make the coat a M58? :unsure:

:beer: Doc

Edited by Riley1965

Guest Rick Research

Don't know about that, but it should have had button on boards then, I think. No sign of the tongue loops and buttons? He may have kept wearing it into the 4 sided sew on days. I have a giant gap in uniform regulations between 1958 and the total changes of 1969, so not sure what was done when in between those dates.

Don't know about that, but it should have had button on boards then, I think. No sign of the tongue loops and buttons? He may have kept wearing it into the 4 sided sew on days. I have a giant gap in uniform regulations between 1958 and the total changes of 1969, so not sure what was done when in between those dates.

Rick,

There are tongue loops and holes for the buttons.

Edited by Riley1965

Guest Rick Research

Good! So, what you need are normal, all branches same width boards for a medical officer-- not the earlier NARROW ones, which had been dropped by 1958.

I don't know where all the old shoulder boards went, but they're gone around here!

Good! So, what you need are normal, all branches same width boards for a medical officer-- not the earlier NARROW ones, which had been dropped by 1958.

I don't know where all the old shoulder boards went, but they're gone around here!

Rick,

Would that be the 5-sided, green with red piping, boards?

Edited by Riley1965

Guest Rick Research

No-- from about 1947/48 they were 6 sided-- but by the end of the 1950s, all boards were the same "normal officer" width and no longer thin ones for medical and administrative. So you need to find regular width and 6 sided.

No-- from about 1947/48 they were 6 sided-- but by the end of the 1950s, all boards were the same "normal officer" width and no longer thin ones for medical and administrative. So you need to find regular width and 6 sided.

Rick,

Many Thanks my friend!!! I'm trying to learn about the various shoulderboards and uniforms.

Nice coat!

Not knowing much about the cloth side of collecting, Is there any kind of stamped information inside that might tell you about the manufacturer.

When you do get the Shoulderboards please post their addition to your Greatcoat.

Regards

Rick

• 4 months later...

Hi!

As this coat has light grey colour - it's parade greatcoat.

As it has buttons with "1958" stamp - this greatcoat is post 1958.

So, you can use 2 types of shoulder boards:

1) If you want to make greatcoat 1958-62 you must use wide silver shoulder boards with red piping (4-sided)

1) If you want to make greatcoat post 1962 you must use wide light grey shoulder boards with red piping (4-sided)

Hope this will help you.

I can try to help you with finding of this boards if you tell me what type of greatcoat you prefer to make: 1958-62 or post 1962.

Hi!

As this coat has light grey colour - it's parade greatcoat.

As it has buttons with "1958" stamp - this greatcoat is post 1958.

So, you can use 2 types of shoulder boards:

1) If you want to make greatcoat 1958-62 you must use wide silver shoulder boards with red piping (4-sided)

1) If you want to make greatcoat post 1962 you must use wide light grey shoulder boards with red piping (4-sided)

Hope this will help you.

I can try to help you with finding of this boards if you tell me what type of greatcoat you prefer to make: 1958-62 or post 1962.

Alex,

Either one will work. I just want to add shoulderboards to it.

Narrow boards were canceled in 1958. But officers continue to wear it for 1958-59 years. I think that owner of this coat is able to use narrow type of boards as like as type with regular width.

Post-WW2 shoulder boards of major of medical service pre-1958 from my collection.