News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Indo-Persian Shamsheer/Shamshir

spionKopKid

I was looking at buying this shamsheer but am a bit curious about it as there seems to be a anomaly.

The blade has the initial appearance of a shamsheer but the hilt appears to be a standard Tulwar hilt. I have read that a Shamsheer generally does not have a knuckle guard.

Therein lies my confusion, has the hilt been retro fitted and isn't an original part, or has anybody seem this combination before?

Any help welcome as I know very little about Indo-Persian swords but do find them fascinating. Any other comments welcome about the weapon too!!

Hello spionkopkid

You have what MIGHT be a fairly nice Shamshir. I am only going by the image you posted, but there is no anomaly to my eyes. The difference you are thinking and writing about with regard to the hilt, is because of it's country of origin. Many Shamshir originated in Persia and Turkey. Hence the 'T" shaped hilt and no D-guard.

Shamshir also come out of India where the talwar is more prevalent. This is where your anomaly begins and ends. Most Shamshir (Anglo-sized to Scimitar) that come from India have a Talwar style hilt and decoration.

The scabbard is very Indian in appearance as well. usually the Turkish and Persian varieties are covered in leather, canvas or a brocade type material or steel depending on age.

A really good general reference book on weapons and armor of all types is "A Glossary of the Construction Decoration and use of Arms and Armor" by George Cameron Stone. Originally Published in 1934, it has been reprinted MANY times. There are plenty of photos of Indo Persian weapons and armor as well as Japanese and the European countries. Highly recommended. The Image attached is from this book.

Kind Regards...Henry

Hello spionkopkid

You have what MIGHT be a fairly nice Shamshir. I am only going by the image you posted, but there is no anomaly to my eyes. The difference you are thinking and writing about with regard to the hilt, is because of it's country of origin. Many Shamshir originated in Persia and Turkey. Hence the 'T" shaped hilt and no D-guard.

Shamshir also come out of India where the talwar is more prevalent. This is where your anomaly begins and ends. Most Shamshir (Anglo-sized to Scimitar) that come from India have a Talwar style hilt and decoration.

The scabbard is very Indian in appearance as well. usually the Turkish and Persian varieties are covered in leather, canvas or a brocade type material or steel depending on age.

A really good general reference book on weapons and armor of all types is "A Glossary of the Construction Decoration and use of Arms and Armor" by George Cameron Stone. Originally Published in 1934, it has been reprinted MANY times. There are plenty of photos of Indo Persian weapons and armor as well as Japanese and the European countries. Highly recommended. The Image attached is from this book.

Kind Regards...Henry

Thanks Henry, your advice is appreciated, I still don't feel 100% comfortable buying it yet though, I think I need to do some more research! How would you recommend I narrow down its period of manufacturer, would the book you mention help? Also what would you say is a fair price for this sword? ( I guess that could be anywhere but it would be interesting to see what you think!)