News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• 2 weeks later...
    • 4 months later...

Are you sure ? I had in mind that the color film had been "invented" by the Germans later than WW1... in the 20s. Maybe am I wrong...

But, these pics are colorized. And the film "World War 1 in colors" clearly claims its pictures and views are colorized...

Cheers.

Ch.

Are you sure ? I had in mind that the color film had been "invented" by the Germans later than WW1... in the 20s. Maybe am I wrong...

But, these pics are colorized. And the film "World War 1 in colors" clearly claims its pictures and views are colorized...

Cheers.

Ch.

Photography and film are not the same.

Color photography was developed in France before World War I. The Autochrome Lumi?re process was patented by the Lumi?re brothers in 1907. The photos Ulsterman shows above were done by that process. Agfa developed Agfacolor, a better process, in Germany in the mid-1930s; Kodachrome arrived about the same time, but was not as easy to use, so color photography was more widely seen among Germans in World War II.

There was no color film in World War I. The film footage referred to in Sal's original post was, as Christophe notes, colorized.

Cheers.

Ch.

Christophe,

The "World War 1 in colors" film may have been colourised, but the images shown above seem to come from a series of autochrome pictures that belong to a French archive and can be viewed online.

Autochrome was a photographic transparency film patented on 5 June 1906 in America (patent no. 822,532) by Auguste and Louis Lumi?re of Lyons, France (French patent number 339,223, 1903).

David

Edit: Dave beat me to it while I was distracted by another thread.

Edited by David Gregory