News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Living Veterans of the Spanish Civil War?

webr55

• 3 weeks later...

My grandfather (first row, second from left) and some of his fellow comrades of the Spanish Infanter?a de Marina (Marine Corps), November 1941.

Still alive and about to be 90 years old, he was just 17 when SCW broke, joining Spanish Marine Corps, where his father served in the 1920's North African campaigns. My grandfather did not serve in front line units but garrison duties, and after the war he became a "lifer" and retired as a captain after about 34 years of service. Interestingly, he never took his fidelity oath, as there was little time for such "formalities" during the war... he was given a bolt-action rifle, and shooting some rounds in an improvised range was enough to become automatically a Infante de Marina (Marine). Of course he attended the NCO's school after the war, but the oath was never taken.

The well decorated soldier on the second row (second front right) saw a lot of combat, indeed - note ribbon bars and collective, embroidered awards on his left sleeve.

Edited by Panzerpionier

• 2 weeks later...