News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Romanian Medals

Here's the Order of 23 August, third class (gilt brass) from the RPR period. The order was established in 1959 and like the Order of the Star it came in 5 classes, the 1st and 2nd classes are breast stars and the 3rd, 4th and 5th classes are like this one, but they are in gold, silver, and bronze, respectively. It's made in 3 pieces and the little state seal is very well done with all sorts of colors of enamels.

• Replies 68
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And lastly is the Medal for the 5th Anniversary of the RPR, created in 1952. It's made of a matte nickel silver and is in two pieces. This is the medal that got me into non USSR Eastern Bloc medals - it's very well made, the enameling on the seal is attractively done and it wasn't horribly expensive. I hope I've not bored y'all with these - I'll leave the real "geeking out" for the Albanian decorations :P

Eric,

Thank you for posting these pics!! I bet that the 5 year anniversary medal is a rarity! I love enameled medals!!!

Do you have any others?

Please post all of your Order of 23 August's? I would like to see what they look like side by side. I think mine is the "gold" one.

Best regards

Paul

Here's the Romanian Fire Service medal... c.1955, probably used until the end of the Soviet years. This is the only purely fire service MEDAL. Romania also used various badges for bravery and achievement in the fire service, rather than additional medals.

No reverse image at the moment. Shows crossed fire axes and the various symbols of the workers paradise.

More info always welcome.

Firemedals :cheers:

Edited by FireMedals

• 1 month later...
    • 1 month later...

Ceauşescu really tarted up the orders and decorations of Romania once he took power. I compared my 1964-1965 Orders of the Star to an RSR peroiod one and the difference is night and day. Shame, really, because the Gheorghe Gheorghiu-Dej period decorations easily rival those of the USSR and Czechoslovakia in quality.

Since the Order of Tudor Vladimirescu was founded around the time of the change from RPR to RSR, I often wondered if any were made to the old standards of quality.

Edited by Eric Schena

• 1 month later...
    • 1 month later...

There are some serial numbered awards from both the RPR and the RSR period.

In the early RPR period most awards, including badges, were numbered. Some examples here:

http://www.worldwar2.ro/forum/index.php?showtopic=2732

Also, there are solid gold examples of the 1st/2nd class of the orders. These were given to high party officials or very important foreigners.

• 1 year later...

Medalia comemorativă ?A 40-a aniversare a revoluţiei de eliberare socială şi naţională, antifascistă şi antiimperialistă? (The Commemorative Medal "The 40th anniversary of the social and national, antifascist and anti-imperialist liberation revolution") - 1984

m1984akf0.jpgm1984rda3.jpg

Guest Rick Research

The straight metal backings for these ribboned medals looks VERY similar to what was/is used in North Korea!

Were groups of medals worn singly, or on multiple medals bars, Soviet style?

The straight metal backings for these ribboned medals looks VERY similar to what was/is used in North Korea!

It is only a coincidence. In fact the shape was a return to the traditional Romanian style of folding the ribbons.

Were groups of medals worn singly, or on multiple medals bars, Soviet style?

I do not know the answer to this one.