de la Jonquiere photo, lots of medals !

Paul L Murphy

The de la Jonquiere family have a pretty prestigious military lineage in France. This is a photo of one of them but which one and what did he do ? It was taken in Bordeaux and is dated 2 July 1914.

He wears the dress uniform of a commandant in the colonial infantry with the Commander of the Order of the Dragon of Amman, Officer of the Legion of Honour, Knight of the Academic Palms, Tonkin Medal, and what is most likely a Colonial Medal and an Officer of the Order of Cambodia. Does anybody have any more information on this particular gentleman ?

Cheers,

Paul

Paul

This officer might be the one mentionned by Google as one of the first explorers of Indochinese arch?ology, when he was a captain with the French Infanterie coloniale. His part in describing and protecting the ruins at Ankor would have been very significant.

It would certainly explain the rather unusual display of Annamese and Cambodian Orders as well as the Academic palms. The colonial medal with probably the INDOCHINE or TONKIN bar as well as the Tonkin campaign medal. The very last medal could be one of the Royal Cambodian medals such as Sisowath 1st or Sisowathmonivong.

E.E. Lunel de la Jonqui?re, chef de bataillon d'infanterie coloniale, appears as an Officier of the Legion d'honneur since June 9 1910 in the 1914 "Almanach National". If not unusual, this level to a commandant was a significant award. Probably the same officer.

As a commandant (major in command of a batallion) in 1914, he would probably have taken part in WW1.

Two de la Jonqui?re families are registered : Lunel de la Jonqui?re and Taffanel de la Jonqui?re. The latter has a very distinguished past and has surviving members (Bottin Mondain 1999).

I would not know about the first family which I would think to be this officer's.

This is as much as I can contribute. Regards

Veteran

Edited by Veteran