News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of Maximilianus ?

Greg

Greetings all. I am new here. I have been contributing a bit in other forums but I wonder if anyone here can solve my mystery for me.

About 7 years ago I bought a neck medal on Ebay. I was told it was an Austrian Order of St. Maximilianus. Last year I found mention of this Order as being For Arts and Culture, but I cannot find that reference again. The Austrian Embassy has never heard of it.

It is a round silver neck medal on a black ribbon. The front has a figure of a medieval knight with a crown holding scepture and sword. Around the edge are the words AUGUSTUS MAXIMILIANUS ROMANORUM IMPERATOR SEMPER.

The reverse has a similiar figure riding a horse in full armour carrying a flag over his shoulder and the year 1509. Around the edge are the words SEMP AVG ARCHIDVX AVSTRIE MAXIMILIANVS DEI GRA ROM IMP

It weighs 49grams. It is 3-4mm thick and is 42.5 mm in diameter. The rim is unmarked. It would appear to be silver.

I have just discovered a breast badge for it as well - identical to one side of the medal but made of very cheap metal.

There are 2 photos of it attached. Does anyone know anything about it? Is it Austrian, Dutch or even German ?

I would appreciate any assistance you can offer.

Many thanks

Greg.

Here is the other matching badge.

It has a makers name (?) of HALL-TIROL on the back and the dates 1808-1958.

And the writing around the edge is slightly different on this badge (except that the N is backwards.) :

SEMP AVGV MAXIMILIANVS ROMANOR IMPERATOR

Compare this to the similar legend on the neck medal :

AUGUSTUS MAXIMILIANUS ROMANORUM IMPERATOR SEMPER

SEMP AVG ARCHIDVX AVSTRIE MAXIMILIANVS DEI GRA ROM IMP

where the Ns are around the right way !!

Someone somewhere must know something about this medal. 7 or 8 years now and it's getting frustrating.

Greg.

It may be a commemerative piece. Max.1 was credited with laying the foundations of the Austrian empire which survived until the end of WW1. He was born in 1459 so the piece dated on the back 1958 could have been made to celebrate the 500th anniversary in 1959.