News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Let us see those Riders Badges

Paul & David, they were awarded to my wife when she was young (19 years old/mid 80s), she also has the Fahrer-Abzeichen. Both are bronze.

Tony

Can you please post the set for us? Do you remember what the criteria was for each grade?

Can you please post the set for us? Do you remember what the criteria was for each grade?

Paul,

The Fahrerabzeichen is below.

The criteria for both badges in bronze was to pass the ?A? test. For riders this consists of the:

?A? dressage test

?A? horse jumping test

Theoretical test about riding horses, caring for them, tack etc.

The Fahrerabzeichen test is much the same as a car driving test and includes theory too.

The test categories are:

E ? Einf?hrung (introduction)

A ? Anf?nger (beginner) badge in bronze

L ? leicht (easy) badge in silver

M ? mittel (medium)

S ? (schwer) difficult

Bronze and silver are awarded for passing tests in ?A? and ?L? whereas gold is awarded for outstanding achievement at shows.

I can?t say if the criteria was the same during the 3rd Reich but I do know my wife did the same dressage test as in the Heeres Dienstvorschrift for riders during the 1930s and her instructor was a cavalry officer during the war. Don?t know if he spent more time with heavy armour or horses though.

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice! I bet that she is very proud of earning this prestigous award. I bet that it was not an easy feat. Thank you for showing her badge to us. It is amazing how little has changed in the over all appearance of this award. Even the card the badge is attached to has not changed that much at all...

Lets see more!

Edited by Paul Reck

The next time I go a stay with Skip (WAF) in Berlin I'll take some pic's of whats left of the horesy 'HQ', stables, yard and buildings, it's right next to the Olympic Stadium.

Paul if your interested I saw a silver box for one like mine on a German dealers site ! One of the 'W' dealers.

Tony, does your wife still ride, mine does, and I never see her.......in fact :angry::jumping: I'd :violent: the thing !! :lol:

Edited by Marcus H

Guest Rick Research

German sports badges in general are a strange "after market." Though the Official Price Guides have become more and more the BOTTOM valuation line rather than the top, on this side of the Atlantic I have always found a distinct disinterest in all the sports badges common in the American collecting community with prices generally below "book" to SELL. There just is a disconnect in demand and supply.

The full and complete regulations for any Third Reich (and earlier) German sports badge can be found in the booklet version of the award document. The rules changed quite often, which has always bugged me in the blas? way English languarge awards reference books sloppily get most of it all wrong with a half page "snapshot" on each award as if the rules were always the same.

While the figures are mostly complete and known on these Horsemanship badges, I don't think I've seen five award booklets for sale in 30 years, and never had one in my paws to copy the regulations sections.

• 1 year later...