Dad's "Abzeichen f?r Beobachter auf Marine-Flugzeugen"

Here's a large sized miniature of the "Abzeichen f?r Beobachter auf Marine-Flugzeugen", of about 41 x 26 mm. I think this is still to be considered "miniature" and not a "prinzen size"?! But I think this actually doesn't really matter. What matters: is this an old original one or a modern, faked item? I'm not sure about it as I'm pretty unaware of aviation badges, didn't even knew that size - never seen such a thing, neither as genuine nor as fake - that's a good sign, isn't it?!

:rolleyes:

Saschaw, that's always the way it seems to go with these copies.... firsy one, then another.... then suddenly they're all over eBay and the fairs....

The worse part is the fakers are constantly improving their products. Note that the Prussian Pilot Badge fake floating around now has the correct Juncker mark, but had the wrong pin..... now this same piece is out on eBay with a modified pin. Still not right, but they never quit trying!!

This example is not in any way related to the one above, but as it's my father's as well and the same award, I'll post it here - as a "kompensation" for the badge above.

It came with many other decoration from the collction of an elderly collector who sold off threw us his collection via eBay last year, and this badge is one of the things we managed to get for our own. I hope you like it - honestly, I'd wonder if this one wasn't right...

:speechless1:

Edited by saschaw

The rear, by the way nicely engraved with

"Leutnant z. See d. Res.

Ernst Schwarz

Flugzeugbeobachter

II. Seefliegerabtlg.

# 1845"

The pin seems to be a poor repair, but I don't know when it was made. You still like the badge, don't you?

Edited by saschaw

Last picture, without the needle covering the engravement. As the collection came with a handfull nice medal bars and I didn't ask the collector if anything belonged together - he wouldn't have known it, seems he didn't bother such "things" like history - is there any chance to get to know what awards this Lt. z.S. d.R. Ernst Schwarz was awarded? There might be his medal bar in dad's box, I just don't know what to look for. At least I couldn't find him amung the Z?hringer guys...

:(

Just for interrest, what price would a piece like this make nowadays? It's not maker amrked and the pin damaged, but anything else seems perfectly good to me. :unsure:

Edited by saschaw

Here's a large sized miniature of the "Abzeichen f?r Beobachter auf Marine-Flugzeugen", of about 41 x 26 mm. I think this is still to be considered "miniature" and not a "prinzen size"?! But I think this actually doesn't really matter. What matters: is this an old original one or a modern, faked item? I'm not sure about it as I'm pretty unaware of aviation badges, didn't even knew that size - never seen such a thing, neither as genuine nor as fake - that's a good sign, isn't it?!

Hello!

Looks not good.

All the best

Nesredep

No way to tell his awards since he was not commissioned during the war.

Ernst Schwarz-- born 22 October 1887. In the army until May 1915, when he transferred to the navy. Vizeflugmeister 25.7.17. aD 21.1.20. Char. Lt zS dR 21.7.21

He served in Seeflieger Abteilung II from January 1916 to March 1918, and then in the Fernaufkl?rungsstaffel to war's end.

I am NOT a big fan of engraved items-- since I have seen far too many that were fake, and even more horrifying, far too many original piecess that have been destroyed by being "enhanced."

But I like yours. The engraving is good, and has been IN that badge since it was made-- early 1920s? Verrrrry nice.

Rick, it's great you like it. I hadn't doubts about it at all, but confirmation though's always nice.

Thanks for the addet information, that's yet something. You say "no way to tell" - but if you stumble about him in any WWI list, that would be a great help. There was e.g. at least one bar with the collection that looked extremely navy-ish, but with a Z?hringer 3bX it cannot be his. As cannot be those with royal or principle house order of Hohenzollern, Saxon albrecht, Bavarian MVO...