News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Good that you like it and its arrived safe and sound! :jumping:

What about Hindis.... I am pretty new collector and dont know all the details.... bronze one is rarer then anothers or whats the story with that? :Cat-Scratch:

Hello Noor:

Most Hindenburg Crosses were struck from steel and were bronzed. There are a few genuine bronze pieces floating around. Someone who produced a price guide (I can't remember who at the moment) decided that these should bring a premium on the market.

I personally think they are less-common than the steel pieces, but I do not think that I would pay a premium price for one as they can't really be a "scarce" item.

Congratulations regarding the acquisition of the very nice mounted medal group A Collector!

"SPM"

• Replies 79
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Noor:

Most Hindenburg Crosses were struck from steel and were bronzed. There are a few genuine bronze pieces floating around. Someone who produced a price guide (I can't remember who at the moment) decided that these should bring a premium on the market.

I personally think they are less-common than the steel pieces, but I do not think that I would pay a premium price for one as they can't really be a "scarce" item.

Congratulations regarding the acquisition of the very nice mounted medal group A Collector!

"SPM"

@Timo- Thanks very much once again, and the packing job was absolutely superb!

@ SPM- Thanks. Personally I would not pay a premium for a bronze over an iron either as I am not really a "type" collector. However, having a bronze on THIS bar is truly an added bonus to something that I did not think possible to improve upon.

One characteristic that seems to be common to these uncommon variants is the narrow suspension ring retainer/tab. They seem to be a little less than the width of a steel version.

Edited by A Collector

• 7 months later...

Hi all,

I was curious as to whether someone can give me an idea of fair market value for the White Falcon Bar posted in this thread??? I have searched high and low for others for sale to get an idea, but I am finding that these must be very rare indeed as my searching always come up null....

I have included a shot of some enamel damage to the lower arm, however, I can't imagine that something this difficult to find would be devalued very much by this.

Edited by A Collector

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: This bar has now changed hands what-- 3?-- 4? times among forums members here in the last ??? year or so? :(:speechless1::speechless::speechless1:

WW1 White Falcons with Swords are indeed rare (2 copies of the Rolls still available in North America-- Daniel has copies in for the Euro market :rolleyes: ) and I would hope that SOMEBODY is actually going to give this bar a HOME for the potentially happy day when the Red Cross roll is found and its owner can finally be identified.

Comparable in numbers awarded of this class to Pour le Merites... it really shouldn't be wandering the continents, sigh.

:Cat-Scratch: This bar has now changed hands what-- 3?-- 4? times among forums members here in the last ??? year or so? :(:speechless1::speechless::speechless1:

WW1 White Falcons with Swords are indeed rare (2 copies of the Rolls still available in North America-- Daniel has copies in for the Euro market :rolleyes: ) and I would hope that SOMEBODY is actually going to give this bar a HOME for the potentially happy day when the Red Cross roll is found and its owner can finally be identified.

Comparable in numbers awarded of this class to Pour le Merites... it really shouldn't be wandering the continents, sigh.

Hi Rick,

I am more or less asking for insurance purposes, although a few folks made some trade/cash offers when I hinted that I was looking for a WWI aviation grouping. Since I did not pay all cash for this outright, I really don't know. I obtained it through mostly trade, with some cash. Some of the trade items I picked up many years ago so the amount of investment I had in them was minimal.

Earlier, I was quite dissapointed when I asked someone I thought I could trust on the net for their opinion of current market value. I got a reply back of $500.00 because of the enamel chips on the reverse of the WF...yea right. Although I do not know the actual value, I am smart enough to know that would be giving it away. I figured there is about $400.00 worth for the actual BRONZE HBC, DRK, EKII, and Autrian Service Med alone.

Thanks for the reply.

Edited by A Collector

• 2 weeks later...

I'll try once more for an idea of value and then I won't bother you guys any more on this subject. I would really appreciate an estimated value (in the open please). I would of course be willing to offer it here for sale first before listing on another venue, you have my word; I won't get the valuation and run away. I am seriously considering an aviation grouping, and this, though beautiful, really does not "fit" in the direction that my collection is going...thanks.

A Collector,

This is always a difficult question; so let?s look at it another way. There is an old saying that anything is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. If I am following this thread correctly, you purchased this bar less than a year ago. Take your purchase price and go from there. Are you satisfied with getting what you paid, or are you looking to make a profit on it? If so, take your purchase price and calculate your margin.

Incidentally, great photos. I know that this may shock most members; but I find the Hindenburg Cross to be particularly interesting - shows you where my mind is. :wacky:

Regards,

Wild Card

A Collector,

This is always a difficult question; so let's look at it another way. There is an old saying that anything is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. If I am following this thread correctly, you purchased this bar less than a year ago. Take your purchase price and go from there. Are you satisfied with getting what you paid, or are you looking to make a profit on it? If so, take your purchase price and calculate your margin.

Incidentally, great photos. I know that this may shock most members; but I find the Hindenburg Cross to be particularly interesting - shows you where my mind is. :wacky:

Regards,

Wild Card

Hi Wild Card,

As I mentioned previously, I didn't do an outright purchase. I paid a little cash and traded items I had for years, so I really have no real idea of what a fair price is to ask as I didn't really pay the "going price" at the time. I know it will NOT leave me for $500.00 :lol: , for that much, I'll just keep it - even if my interest doesn't lie in that area any longer. I really do appreciate your input and the compliments on the photos. ;) I think I will give it a try on ebay and see what happpens....

Hi Wild Card,

As I mentioned previously, I didn't do an outright purchase. I paid a little cash and traded items I had for years, so I really have no real idea of what a fair price is to ask as I didn't really pay the "going price" at the time. I know it will NOT leave me for $500.00 :lol: , for that much, I'll just keep it - even if my interest doesn't lie in that area any longer. I really do appreciate your input and the compliments on the photos. ;) I think I will give it a try on ebay and see what happpens....

Maybe the guy you got it froms original price was a fair barometer?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

I have wrestled this bar from Steve !!!! I will be on its way tuesday ! I am so Happy to get a WF I could just skip around like my 5 yr old baby girl :jumping: !!!!!! I hope to find a name to this bar someday? an to keep this in my collection and give this poor bird a rest been flying around just too much!!! :jumping:

So all my rereading of posts on this that it could be a army frontline doctor?

Maybe something NCO'ish? I here there's a possibility that the Lubek Rolls might be done soon... that means there's apossibility of ID'ing this fellow someday...

most likely from a NCO of the 8. W?rttembergisches Infanterie-Regiment Nr.126 "Gro?herzog Friedrich von Baden".

In 1917 all troops of this Regiment were awarded the "badische silberne Verdienstmedaille" by it's namesake the Grossherzog von Baden.

Hardy

Edited by Naxos

most likely from a NCO of the 8. W?rttembergisches Infanterie-Regiment Nr.126 "Gro?herzog Friedrich von Baden".

In 1917 all troops of this Regiment were awarded the "badische silberne Verdienstmedaille" by it's namesake the Grossherzog von Baden.

Hardy

Hardy, most likely a modern put-together bar! Did really all 126er get the medal? There's no published list for the SVM and I know they went to 126ers - but really to all? And, did all officers get a BZL? Some did, that far I know...

Hardy, most likely a modern put-together bar! Did really all 126er get the medal? There's no published list for the SVM and I know they went to 126ers - but really to all? And, did all officers get a BZL? Some did, that far I know...

Hallo Sascha,

my source is a Tagebuch of a Gefreiter from the above Regiment, according to his account the Grossherzog visited the Regiment in 1917 and had the BVM in silver handed out to the whole Bataillon.

Edited by Naxos