News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Swedes in Persia

Hello,

I also collect the very few items that I find regarding the Swedes that were in Persia in the 1910's.

Sweden was contacted by Persia to build up and train their gendarmerie and also police, so the roads would be safe again. With the Russians in the north and the British in the south this was not a easy task...but after reading a few books about it I would say that the result was good.

Last month I got this group regarding the Swedish officer Ernesto Thorell. It's rather late now so I will post the medal and some documents that I need help to translate...

First out is the Order of the lion and the sun, third class I believe.

Regards,

Stefan

Then it is this paper written in French and signed by the commanding Swedish officer Hjalmarson. It's something about a medal suggestion - but what does it say exactly?

/Stefan

Guest Rick Research

Ha! I wondered why you needed SWEDISH translated! :cheeky:

"The Minister of War, in recognition of the merit of Captain E. (F?) Thorell, Swedish officer, and of the notable services he has rendered; with unanimity of the Council of Ministers and wishing to recognize these services has awarded by the present order, the Military Medal in Gold on the said Captain which is to be considered that this Medal is an honorary reward and to guard (meaning continue?) in the exercise of his functions with the same courage and the same devotion.

Teheran 7 Aghzab 1330, Sholan Hussein, Minister of War

Certified as matching the original

Ali Khan

Secretary of the Organization Bureau

Governmental Gendarmerie"

I don't know if the Persian state caalendar matched the Ottoman fiscal one. 1334 was 1914 in Turkey, so is this from 1910?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Rick,

I got a translation of the Persian document. So here is the Persian -> Swedish -> English translation :)

"Ministry of the interior

According to order of the head of the Governmental Gendarmerie shall commander E.F. Thorell be promoted to major in the Governmental Gendarmerie. He shall have a salary according to contract.

16 hoot 1321"

I believe that the French document is a copy written by the commander of the Persian Gendarmerie - the Swedish officer Harald Hjalmarson.

From the little references I have at home regarding the Swedes in Persia: Thorell was hired in Persia from August 1912 and left 1st of June 1914. He was an instructor at the 5th regiment at Hamadan.

He got an archive of his own in the Swedish war archives that I have to have a look in.

Regards,

Stefan