News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Danish Order of the Elephant... well... almost...

Since the Danish Order of the Elephant is out of reach for us commoners, today's delivery by FedEx made me a happy camper :jumping:

It is Jens Bircherod's "Breviarium Eqvestre seu de Illustrissimo et Inclytissimo Eqvestri Ordine Elephantino" from 1704.

It may not contain much in terms of recipient lists, but it is one of the first written sources to deal with the history of this order (even if - in 1704 - the order was already 240 years old).

The book contains some beautiful copper engravings.

When King Christian V introduced the Order of Dannebrog in 1671, he apparently felt the need to have some regulations put down, so both orders (the Elephant and Dannebrog) got their statutes in 1693.

Bircherod's book may have been inspired by the publishing of these statutes.

Yes... I love books... :love:

/Mike

Edited by Great Dane

Guest Rick Research

304 years.... :cheers: Did any of the previous owners write their names inside the cover?

Actually yes... :)

There is a small Ex Libris (looks old) from a guy called Alfred Watkin and a 'note' saying 'withdrawn' from the University of Minnesota.

/Mike

Edited by Great Dane

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: And here was I, wondering if that had never travelled 20 kilometers from your house in 3 centuries!!!!