News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

An AUSTRO-HUNGARIAN & German & Bulgarian Bar

I came across this and bid one time... :cheeky:

Well I win it...What do you think??. Real thing or "Composite"? :unsure:

All your comments are wellcome :cat:

As you can see the mount is german in Style...But only a German Medal is present

Regards

Miguel

Obverse

Guest Rick Research

The Hessian Bravery Medal is an oddity, but I do not know if there was a regiment in the K.k. army whose honorary Colonel-in-Chief WAS the Grand Duke of Hesse.

Otherwise the awards are consistent with a junior NCO. The ribbed fabric backing is very often found in South German and 1938+ Austrian bars. This looks like VERY soon after 1938, since there is no Hindenburg Cross yet.

Flat bottomed medal bar ribbons are an original style that was not common and is almost always used on fakes (easier to make) so caution is always called for, these bad days.

Pins and catches on Austrian 1938+ bars are often... strange. They weren't used to the German style and had to improvise.

Thanks Rick, I was thinking the same on the Hesse medal and...what with the non existent Austrian Commemorative WWI medal, but the Bulgarian and the tirol medal??? Have you any reason for this oddity (another)

Thanks again...I must learn to refrain me to bid in this very Heavy (and odd!!!) austrian bars... :banger:

Miguel :cheers:

Guest Rick Research

There was great confusion in 1938 and later about what was allowed and what was not. The VERY "Nazi" looking Austrian WW1 Commemorative Medal was often mistakenly left off, because it was incorrectly assumed to have been banned. It was not.

There was great confusion in 1938 and later about what was allowed and what was not. The VERY "Nazi" looking Austrian WW1 Commemorative Medal was often mistakenly left off, because it was incorrectly assumed to have been banned. It was not.

Thanks. Go to bed, Have a Nice day... :D

Miguel