News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Charles,

in peacetime no Landwehr Cavalry units existed although Landwehr officers of the cavalry branch were held on the strength of their respective Landwehrbezirk (District) and wore the distinctive Landwehr Cavalry officers' uniform. Numerous Landwehr cavalry squadrons were formed at mobilisation and indeed 2 Landwehr Cavalry Regiments - Numbers 1 & 2. Regiments 90-92 were formed in August 1915. The regiments were redesignated as Kavallerie-Sch?tzen-Regiments in August through October 1916.

Regards

Glenn

Charles,

in peacetime no Landwehr Cavalry units existed although Landwehr officers of the cavalry branch were held on the strength of their respective Landwehrbezirk (District) and wore the distinctive Landwehr Cavalry officers' uniform. Numerous Landwehr cavalry squadrons were formed at mobilisation and indeed 2 Landwehr Cavalry Regiments - Numbers 1 & 2. Regiments 90-92 were formed in August 1915. The regiments were redesignated as Kavallerie-Sch?tzen-Regiments in August through October 1916.

Regards

Glenn

Glenn,

I greatly appreciate the information you've provided. How were Landwehr units raised? Were men drawn from cavalry units or were there Landwehr cavalry men without a organized unit?

Charles

Glenn,

I greatly appreciate the information you've provided. How were Landwehr units raised? Were men drawn from cavalry units or were there Landwehr cavalry men without a organized unit?

Charles

Charles,

Joe Robinson just posted a very nice article about German military service and structure at http://www.pickelhauben.net/articles/MilitaryService_08.html the part about the Landwehr is on page 2.

By the way, that's a beautiful coat!!! :jumping:

• 4 weeks later...

Husaren-Regiment K?nig Humbert von Italien (1. Kurhessisches) Nr. 13, Diedenhofen.

Is Husaren Regt 13 noted on the photo? I thought those wearing this uniform were member of Landwehr cavalry regiments. I see I have much to learn in this area.

• 9 months later...

Indeed, this is a Landwehr officer from the Hussar regiment "King Humbert of Italy (1. Kurhessisches) No. 13" located at Diedenhofen.

Regards,

Bernburger

I'm looking for devices to restore the shoulder straps on this tunic. It appears to me this man was either a captain or a 1Lt with a unit device.

Can anyone other assistance on what device would be appropriate and where to look for pips that are period?

I'm looking for devices to restore the shoulder straps on this tunic. It appears to me this man was either a captain or a 1Lt with a unit device.

Can anyone other assistance on what device would be appropriate and where to look for pips that are period?

Guest Rick Research

How many holes are underneath? I don't think they wore unit ciphers or numbers on these, just the pips. So there should only be two single holes in the center line if he was a Rittmeister.

No name label? :(

WW1 pips are not the same materials or size as WW2 ones... you may have quite a hunt to find four matching ones. They were larger and brass. I have odd singles in my lifelong odds and ends box, but not so much as a pair.

How many holes are underneath? I don't think they wore unit ciphers or numbers on these, just the pips. So there should only be two single holes in the center line if he was a Rittmeister.

No name label? :(

WW1 pips are not the same materials or size as WW2 ones... you may have quite a hunt to find four matching ones. They were larger and brass. I have odd singles in my lifelong odds and ends box, but not so much as a pair.

I'll admit I've never looked for any until now. I don't really collect misc bits but I know some do...

I would bet if everyone who had a spare or two to sell/give offered images we'll come up at least with a pair so the straps would at least have one pip each.

So this fellow could have been a Husar, Dragoon, or any other cavalry type?