News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi all! I am a little out of my depth here. I would like to sell this helmet, but want to put it up and ask a few questions about it first. I am pretty sure it is an original M35 shell, with paint from the era, and original liner. I checked on the liner, and it is marked I believe 1938.

I got the helmet a long time ago, before I knew the difference between real and repro decals. It looks like someone placed two water transfer decals onto the helmet--I have no idea why.

The helmet was in a collection of a guy who didnt know his azz from a hole in the ground when it came to this stuff. I dont think he placed the transfers on the helmet--I think he just didnt know any better.

The paint scheme perplexes me though--it looks like the standard luft early light blue, but with the wartime green on top of it. I dont have a clue why the paint scheme is the way it is. I included several photos showing it.

I showed the helmet to several collectors now, they each think the shell and liner is ok. I was told to remover the decals and try to sell it that way, but I am not sure I want to do that.

Are the shells of these still fairly collectable (with the liner of course).? Any ideas on the paint scheme?

Thanks in advance

Hi Chris,

Yup they look like bad decals to me too, I guess if you were to try putting a wet (damp) rag over them during the night,

they might soak off, and then a good dry shouldn't hurt the helmet, it will be interesting to see if there is traces

of the original decals underneath, as it is an M35. The paint finish looks original, easy to spot the fake decals as they

are placed over the dings and scratches of the paintwork.

Lots of luck with the cleaning of the decals. (I have never tried that though, and maybe you should ask on one of the

helmet forums, ie the WAF, or German Helmet Walhalla, there would be more qualified people there willing to give you

some advice I am sure).

Cheers

Bob

Chris

Most likely the helmet was re-issued, which would explain the green paint over the original parade blue.

Another method I heard of removing the decals is using a strong tape to pull them off. Don't know if that's a good idea though. If they haven't been lacquered over then I think the water approach would lift them or maybe use steam.

Rich

Close up of the grommet and the terrible transfer. I am betting I could remove it if I soaked it in water. BUt with the humidity here; I dont want to encourage rust

Here you can see the paint....wierd

I actually believe that I can see traces of the original decals underneath the wing of the fake eagle, allso over the top edge of the fake national emblem. The paint looks good. I am not shure, but to me, it looks like the decals might have been painted over. If it was my helmet, I would have carefully tried to remove the fake decals.

Snoopy

Edited by Snoopy

Ok guys sounds good--I will give it a go.

I'll try the soaking it with a washcloth, then use the steamer to seperate the layers. The trick is going to be not to peal any of the paint of with them. The eagle will probably be easier, I can feel a very jagged border on the decal. The tri-color might take a little more time.

We'll see how this works :) Thanks for all the input!

Ok guys sounds good--I will give it a go.

I'll try the soaking it with a washcloth, then use the steamer to seperate the layers. The trick is going to be not to peal any of the paint of with them. The eagle will probably be easier, I can feel a very jagged border on the decal. The tri-color might take a little more time.

We'll see how this works :) Thanks for all the input!

Lets see the after photos when you are done!!

Well I will be darned....you guys were right!

I applied a washcloth to the decals, and they pealed right off. The tricolor was a little harder than the eagle, but still it came off in three pieces

What surprised the hell out of me is what I found underneath. I'll let the photos d othe talking--but these look pretty good to me!

one more

What perplexes me is why someone put water transfer decals on this helmet. I have had the helmet--ooohh since 1988 I would say.

I had seen it in a shop for three years before that. So I have known where it was since 1985.

I am figureing whoever had this helmet, just wanted to "jazz" it up. I am wondering if it came from one of the old mail order catalougs in the 70s. You used to be able to get German helmets from places like Global, Collectors Armory, and many other places. Each, if I remember correctly, sold transferrs allowing you to have any helmet you wanted. I wonder if someone bought a helmet, then sent away for the transfers to "fix" the fact that these decals were smudged?

So I am thinking, orignal M35 helmet (sans chinstrap)

Helmet oringinally painted LW light blue, then reissued

Decals painted over during reissure with tri color partially removed as per regs?

What does everyone else think?

I am pretty sure the liner (see above) is good, but I dont know them that well.

By the way..do my eyes decive me..or is that a 1st type eagle???

Edited by Chris Liontas

It looks like a very nice helmet with a first pattern eagle!! Very nice!! It is probably worth more than you think! I am guessing in it

s current state, 750-900 dollars?

So I am thinking, orignal M35 helmet (sans chinstrap)

Helmet oringinally painted LW light blue, then reissued

Decals painted over during reissure with tri color partially removed as per regs?

What does everyone else think?

I am pretty sure the liner (see above) is good, but I dont know them that well.

By the way..do my eyes decive me..or is that a 1st type eagle???

I agree with your thought's about this helmet, and I think it's a very nice helmet. Interestingly, I believe that I can see the shadow, of another eagle, underneath the one you found under the fake eagle. When the helmet got it's reissue paint coat, they applied another eagle, on top of the previous one. I have seen this done to other original reissue helmets. Hold on to it.

All the best

Snoopy

Edited by Snoopy