News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bulgarian Ministry of Interior Awards

In 1969, The Ministry of the Interior combined authority over the Bulgarian KDS (equivalent to the KGB), The Police and The Border Guards. All came under the umbrella of Ministry of Interior.

From about mid-1965 through this merger in 1969, the KDS issued its' own Long Service Medals. After 1969, KDS, Police, etc. all received Ministry of Interior Long Service Medals.

Let's start with examples of the KDS Long Service Medal. Here's an example of the 10-Year Medal:

In 1960, The Ministry of Interior established their own Long Service Medals. These can be found with the pre-1971 Coat of Arms on the reverse from 1960-1971, and the post-1971 Coat of Arms from 1971-1989.

Here's an example 1960-1970 for 10-Years Long Service, Ministry of Interior:

In 1989, the 45 Year Jubilee Medal was authorized. Note the lessening quality as the prosperity of communism declined. I am not aware of any jubilee medals issued between the 30 Year Medal and this one.

Interior of the document. Note that all 3 classes could be issued on one document. I do not know if this individual would have been issued a new document @ 15 years of service, or if his existing document would have been updated.

Additional Medals were issued by the Ministry of Interior. These included the following:

Medal for Merit in Protecting Public Order. Established 1969. Awarded with the old Coat of Arms from 1969-1971: