News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WW I Canadian soldier

Hello Everyone,

This is a short pictoral history of 751750 WILLIS, James, Pte. 118th Battalion, 1st Canadian Infantry.

The first photo would have been taken around 1912.

In this photo he is the fellow to the viewer's left.

His trade was "bricklayer".

He signed up on 20 May, 1916 at the age of 41 in Berlin (Kitchener) Ontario.

This photo shows James just after he landed in England on 6 February, 1917, he sailed on the the S.S. Scandinavian.

He still has a cockey attitude that my research shows he possessed in his early years.

After he landed he was attached to the 1st Canadian Infantry on 17 May, 1917.

He is photographed here around OCtober or November 1917.

His face now lacks that construction worker attitude he was known for back home, to be repalced with a look of a man who has experienced war and knows his new trade well. I think it is a bit of a grim look, the old 1000 yard stare I think they now call it.

By the way, before I get raked over the coals about the "construction worker attitude", I know it all too well as it is my former profession and forms a part of my present (bad?) attitude. :rolleyes:

All that remains of James Willis resides in my humble collection. His family has forgotten him and has no interest in his history so it is up to an amateur historian and archivist to preserve hundreds of photos of his family from the late 1800s to the 1950s. All of this was on its way to the landfill when it was offered to me for safe keeping.

RIP James

This ones for you :beer:

Brian

Hi,

wanna do a write up about him and a bit about the battle he was killed in for the site?

best

Chris

Hi Chris,

I have been thinking about do that for some time now.

When I find some time I'll put it together and post his story.

Cheers :cheers:

Brian

• 1 month later...

Hello Brian!

I really look forward to see your amazing work here!

Everytime i see dedication of this kind, i know it brings inspiration and interest to a lot of people who are interested in history and personal stories. I know it does so for me!

Keep up the good work!

Cheers!

P?ter N.

G?teborg, Sweden

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your kind words.

I am putting together a more detailed work on his life and the battle in which he died.

It will take a while as summer is a busy time for me and that makes for slow research work.

Thanks again.

Cheers :cheers:

Brian

Great group and excellent research. I should post some of the groups in my collection. I'll add his missing vic to my search list and maybe one day it'll be in your hands.

Cheers

Chris

Edited by censlenov

Great group and excellent research. I should post some of the groups in my collection. I'll add his missing vic to my search list and maybe one day it'll be in your hands.

Cheers

Chris

Yes, please do post your groups and thanks for watching for the missing Vic. I have been watching for the Victory Medal and Memorial Plaque for the past five years. Who knows, perhaps some day...

Cheers :beer:

Brian