News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello gentlemen's !

I have a question about this cross. I consider it as a rarity (this cross has been created only on 1918, january 27th, so has been awarded during only 9 months...)

We have recently talk about (http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=27468), but does somebody know how were awarded durind his (brief) existence ??

Thank you !

:beer:

Guest Rick Research

Unfortunately I did not have the roll for this award. It probably still exists in the Weimar archive someplace.

Given the number of other Weimar awards during the war, my best guess would be awards somewhere in the hundreds.

In my many years of both collecting and dealing actively in Imperial German ODM I have seen this piece mounted on a medal bar exactly ONCE! I have seen it loose exactly ONCE!

It will be a big coup for the person who finds one of these.

Another thing that we rarely hear mentioned.... Despite having to resort to "fine zinc" for many awards late in the war, Germany's different orders makers made some exceptionally well detailed, sharp, crisp pieces in this material. This cross, some of the Bavarian MVK3's, the Prussian Cross for War Aid. Beautiful little gems that are very hard to find.

In my many years of both collecting and dealing actively in Imperial German ODM I have seen this piece mounted on a medal bar exactly ONCE! I have seen it loose exactly ONCE!

You're right !

I have collected germans items since 1999, I have seen it only 1 time... :speechless: And I bought it ! :jumping::love::jumping:

• 3 weeks later...

Ten years ago I was in the Staatsarchiv in Weimar for twelve days, working hard about the Weimar decorations. So I can assure you, that more than 100 pieces were awarded. In 1918, June 12th exactly 95 pieces, and still even in March 1920 the Grandduke awarded several of them. At this time the government was very angry about this late award. A lawyer wrote to the grandduke, that he was no longer authorized, to award any decorations.

Best regards

Kapitular