News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Thoughts on Maker- Minesweeper

I bought this some time back. Unmarked example, which I thought looks like an AS, however now I don't think it is.

Any idea on maker? Also of note is the interesting what looks to be personalization at the top of the catch, on each side of the hinge assembly. Looks like an "H St".

t

Yep. Identical Laurence.

Did you ever get any more info on the maker? I had initially thought it was an AS as well, but there are clear difference in construction. Is it possible these types were another run from AS, slightly modified?

The only significant difference I can see between these unmarked/marked pieces on the reverse, apart from the unmarked being thicker which is irrelevant (Erik K can provide some interesting info on huge differences between thickness on examples of a U-Boat badge by the same maker) is the area around the eagles neck. The fittings and edge profile are otherwise just about a perfect match.

On the obverse however, there are minor differences in area of the eagles head and legs which suggest either a different set of tooling, or a reworked tool.

Whether we have two tool sets from two makers or two from the same maker is something we just don't know.

Until firm information emerges the best we can get is probably to refer to these as an unmarked AS "Type" rather than specifically as AS.

Marked AS badge shown above courtesy of Jan Arne.