News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Private Gift From A Bonn Private School?/College? 1937

Guest Rick Research

Hard to figure where to PLACE this one, but since it is a private gift from one student to another (?) I figure "Youth" is the closest section. This came by yesterday to be Epsonized from a friends collection:

The medallion is MASSIVE-- I suspect a large denomination Imperial coin shaved flat and professionally engraved. The very very long ribbon buttons on back over a smaller disk and stalk like buttonhole insignia had. I'm 6'2" and this hangs down to belt level, the ribbon is so long.

Guest Rick Research

There is NO swastika motif, leading me to suppose the crest and motto are for a private high school/"Gymnasium" still hanging onto its independence rather than a Nazi-"coordinated" college.

It was impossible to scan the reverse engraving because it is so lightly done and the distance caused by the reverse disk and stalk put it all into scanner shadow. Didn't polish it up to make the inscription easier to read, so a couple of gaps. The recipient's last name is longer, but I couldn't make it out entirely under the patina. I am pretty sure the ? abbreviations are "S.J." which must be "School Year" 36/37.

Does anyone recognize the school crest and motto "Guestphalia Sei's Panier!" ?

Hi Rick,

first see here:

http://www.corps-guestphalia.de/

and here

http://www.tradition-mit-zukunft.de/commun...halia_bonn.html

Second, i think there is written WS 36/37, Wintersemester 1936/1937.

Third, at that time the "Studentenverbindungen" or "Burschenschaften" were forbidden, they must change to the "Nationalsozialistischer Deutschen Studentenbund" (NSDStB), or better, they had to dissolve. The last dissolved in/after SS 36, Sommersemester 1936.

Fourth, "Guestphalia Sei's Panier!". Guestphalia is an old word for Westfalen. Rough translated "Westphalia is the motto!"

It is a very private gift, unofficial and a small part of the resistance in the Third Reich against alignment (Gleichschaltung).

That is my opinion in my bad English.

Regards

Uwe

More often than not I have seen these heraldic emblems attached to German student fraternities. The word "Panier" is always present and often the crossed "sabel mensur" fencing swords are present in the coat of arms. (As seen in the lower right panel).

I will post a similar device from a 1921 beerstein later today.

Regards...Henry

Guest Rick Research

Thanks Uwe and Henry! :cheers:

I'm afraid that "panier" to me is the French of my childhood, and brought up such strong imagery of open baskets slung over a donkey that any other usage never occurred to me!

Here is the stein mentioned earlier. The body is dated 1917 but the decoration is Christmas 1921. Great website Uwe!

I could not find the device shown on the stein but, I admit, my German is somewhat lacking!

More pics below - can anyone read this?

Guest Rick Research

Henry-- the squiggly script is so contortedly Non Standard frew-frewwy that I have trouble deciphering it. As you say, for friendly remembrance of Christmas 1921 the (? initial) M?cklin to OR from his dear (word?) H. Met(y?). Some sort of "secret cipher" after each name.

Hi Henry,

the first stein is from the "Karlsruher Burschenschaft Tuiskonia":

http://www.tuiskonia.com

http://www.tradition-mit-zukunft.de/commun..._karlsruhe.html

"Tuiskonia sei's Panier"

Behind each name you find the "Zirkel", the "signature" of the student league/fraternity, see the second link.

?. M?cklin

s./l. Leibb.(?) H. Metz (seinem lieben Leibburschen oder Leibbruder H.Metz)

Regards

Uwe