13. Current home Poltava Area, Bagaschantski, Balaklia

address:

14. Awards: Bravery Medal s/n: 717.845

Red Star s/n: 1.207.528

Medal Defence of Stalingrad

Medal Liberation of Prag

Victory over Germany

Guards Badge

Sorry for the bad Englisch translation, I only have a German translation of the text. Additional English translation is welcome.

Citation Bravery medal

Squad- / team leader Sargeant Andrej Nikititsch Plasuik for communication in Staff Battery Artillery Regiment 233

During the battle at 03.08.1943 around high 191,7 under heavy maschine-gun fire he repaired 12times the telephone lines between Commander Regiment Staff and Commander Division Staff. At 28.09.1943 in the battle around the town Kachanovka he set up communication to the observation post and he hold the hole day communication lines. As a result of communication lines his Division destroyed one Mortar Battery and two field guns with artillery fire.

Here is a map of the town Kachanovka near Kremchug.

Nice solid group! The 1945 Warsaw document is great, these are few and far between. Also nice 1943 Bravery Medal awarded during the height of the fighting that year. Obviously a well travelled veteran who made it home.

Brendan :cheers:

Red Star

Squad- / team leader Sargeant Andrej Nikititsch Plasuik for communication in Staff Battery Artillery Regiment 233

Durig the battle he was by his Battery Commander an set up wireless communication lines between his Battery Commander and the firing position. His Division Commander gave him the order to organize the assembly area fora infantery bataillon and a artillery battery in the area of Kronskau. He hold communication lines, gave fire missions and directed the artillery fire on attacking german tanks and soldiers. One tank and a assault gun was destroyed. He deserved to get a Red Star.

As in any artillery battery when on fire missions it is likely he was also doing all this while he himself was underfire from counter battery artillery fire which makes feats such as these all the more remarkable.

I have a few researched Glories where communications soldiers were given the award because they repaired x ammount of phone lines and kept the comms open etc etc. To most, these citations are not flashy and appear 'un attractive' to those citations that destroy tanks, kill the enemy etc. To me these are just as impressive considering all these sorts of bravery acts were done under fire or under difficult conditions where the loss of your life was reasonable to expect. :unsure: