News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

SUPERINTENDANT.A.HARPER

Guest pikemedals

HI CAN ANYONE HELP ME IN RESEARCHING HIS OFFICER I HAVE HIS 1903 & 1911 SCOTTISH POLICE MEDALS BOTH ARE NAME TO A SUPERINTENDANT
    I KNOW HE LIVE IN GLASGOW MANY THANKS :food-smiley-004:

• 5 months later...
    Guest pikemedals

HI KPM, HAVE YOU GOT ANYMORE ON THIS MAN. I KNOW THIS OFFICER WAS IN GLASGOW POLICE AND I GOT A FEW MORE SCOTTISH POLICE MEDALS.CAN YOU HELP ME ON THERE MEDALS.MANY THANKS

Hi,

Sorry can't help any further with Supt HARPER, other than the details I have already supplied. In view of his rank the Glasgow Police History Society may have some details.

If you post the list of your other 1911 Scottish Police Coronations medals I may be able to tell you in which Force they served.

Ian.

Guest pikemedals

HI, IAN I GOT SIX FOR YOU IF YOU CAN CHECK THEM UP FOR ME PLEASE.PS.J.PIRIE, PC.J.RENDALL,PC.J.MCILWAIN,PC.H.MICHAEL,PS.J.SIM AM MISSING HIS 1903 POLICE MEDAL. HAS I GOT A BOOK ON THE LOTHIAN & BORDERS POLICE, HE IS IN IT. WEARING HIS 1903 MEDAL.THE PHOTO HE AT THE FUNERAL OF KING EDWARD VII WITH A DETACHMENT OF EDINBURGH CITY POLICE SENT DOWN TO LONDON THE LAST ONE IS A PAIR 1903 & 1911 NAMED AS PC.J MACKAY ON THE 1903 MEDAL BUT ON THE 1911 MEDAL IT NAMED AS PC.J.MCKAY.AM HOPEING IT THE SAME MAN.MANY THANKS P.PIKESLEY

Hello again,

Sometime ago I compiled a list of most of the recipients of the 1911 Coronation Medal [scottish issue] published in various issues of the Police Review 1911/12.

I recorded 768 names from all of ther Scottish Forces with the exception of Edinburgh City. The Police Review indicated that ALL members of that Force [598] were awarded this medal but no names were published. I can only assume that because the medals were issued named, if they are not on my roll, then they were members of Edinburgh City Force.

These are the details I have recorded:-

ID Surname First Names Rank Force

174 McIlwain John Constable Glasgow Eastern Division

88 Pirie John Constable Glasgow Central Division

433 McKay [1] James Constable Leith

454 McKay [2] James Constable Leith

459 McKay [1] John Constable Leith

These are the Mckay's with the intial J. Take your pick??

I cannot find any of the other names mentioned so they must be from Edinburgh City.

Hope this helps.

Ian.

Guest pikemedals

HI IAN, THANKS FOR THAT HELP.IN THE MEDAL YEARBOOK IT STATED THAT THE 1911 SCOTTISH POLICE MEDAL WAS ONLY 280 ISSUED IT AT RIGHT. AS ON THE MET POLICE MEDAL FOR 1887. IT SAID 1400 MORE LIKE 14,000 WAS ISSUED.IF YOU CAN PLEASE LET ME KNOW MANY THANKS PAUL

Hi Paul,

The figures for the 1911 Coronation Medal [scottish issue] are about 1366 [don't know where they got the 280 figure from.

These are the approx figures for the 1887 Jubilee Medal:-

City of London 872

Metropolitan Police 13,881.

All officers serving in those Forces on 21 June 1887 were awarded the medal.

The 1897 Jubilee Medal is a bit more complicated as those officers already in receipt of the 1887 Jubilee Medal were awarded a Bar [1897]. Other officers received the 1897 Jubilee Medal.

Again approx figures are :-

City of London 485 Clasps 535 Medals

Metropolitan Police 8708 Clasps 7481 Medals

Police Ambulance 210 Medals

St John's Ambulance 910 Medals

LCC Met Fire Brigade 950 Medals

The 1902 Coronation Medal was awarded to the following:-

City of London 5 Silver 1060 Bronze

Metropolitan Police 51 Silver 16708 Bronze

Police Ambulance 1 Silver 204 Bronze

St John's Ambulance 912 Bronze

LCC Met Fire Brigade 1000 Bronze

The Silver Medals were issued to all Senior Officers [supt and above] in the Police, Senior Civilians in the Met Police, and the Chief Surgeon, Met Police.

All ranks of the City of London and the Met received the 1911 Coronation Medal [1400 & 19783 respectively], plus Scottish Police [1366], RIC [585], County & Borough Police [2565], Police Ambulance, St John's and St Andrew's [total 2623], Royal Parks [119] and London Fire Brigade [1374].

Hope this is helpful.

Ian.

Guest pikemedals

HI IAN,GREAT! MANY THANKS FOR YOUR TIME. I WAS THINKING IT MAY BE MORE THAN 280 MEDALS ISSUED.I SEEN 40 OF THE OF SCOTTISH POLICE MEDALS OVER THE LAST 5 YEARS. FROM DEALERS LISTS,EBAY,AUCTION CATALOGUES,I PUT ALL THE 1911 SCOTTISH POLICE MEDALS DOWN IN MY NOTE BOOK.MY WIFE IS GOING MAD ABOUT IT .SHE SAY MY WARDROBE IS FOR CLOTHES NOT FOR YOUR BINDERS OF PAPERS.JUST CAN'T WAIT FOR ONE OF THE KIDS TO MOVE OUT .SO I CAN HAVE A ROOM TO MYSELF.TTFN PAUL

Ian

Interesting info on the Scottish Police. I will have to remember that for future.

As regards the figures in the medal year book they are way out on a few of the police jubilee & corontation numbers.

As for the 280 figure this was changed in this years book to 2800 issued for the Scottish Police ?

I have been trying to research RIC medals to find out if there are any rolls for the Visit to Ireland medals with little luck so far. The 1900 1903 were named and only given to select officers who policed the route of the Royal Visit. The 1911 was unamed, but I have found an interesting document at the PRO with regards to the numbers issued.

Hi,

Since my last comment I have found another document I obtained from the PRO regarding the issue of the 1911 Coronation Medal [Police issue]. It appears that they were officially engraved by a Mr Gillett.

City of London Police 1385

Metropolitan Police 21005 [includes 3 re-engraved & 10 un-engraved]

Royal Parks [England] 109

LCC Fire Brigade 1374 [includes 17 un-engraved]

Scottish Police 1465 [includes 1 re-engraved]

St Andrew's Ambulance 310

Royal Parks [scotland] 11

St John's Ambulance 2755

Police Ambulance Service 130

Royal Irish Constabulary 572 [issue 1.6.12 un-engraved]

Irish Police 2477 [final issue 28.6.12 um-engraved]

County & Borough Police 2560 [un-engraved]

This must be taken as the authoritative guide even though the figures could include some 'un-named spares'.

I too would be interested to hear if there were any published rolls for any of the Royal Visits, as I have medals for Ireland and Scotland in my collection.

Ian.