News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Imperial Austrian Long Service Awards

Stogieman

Ah, that's the sort of piece that with 1905, 1906, and 1907 Schematismus-es, should be possible to identify who the recipient was. There can't have been more than one recipient of a 25 in 1906?

Hi Rick

At best was hoping to get a little info on the regiment itself, never occured to me in my wildest dreams that the service cross could be identified to the recipient. The recipient must have been greatly adored :love: by his comrades to be given the decoration in gold or a sign of great respect to their commanding officer which could be likely given to.

• 5 months later...
    • Replies 50
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Rick

At best was hoping to get a little info on the regiment itself, never occurred to me in my wildest dreams that the service cross could be identified to the recipient. The recipient must have been greatly adored :love: by his comrades to be given the decoration in gold or a sign of great respect to their commanding officer which could be likely given to.

Great information. Until now I was confused about the classes and how to differentiate the officer grades.

• 2 months later...

details

Hi Josef

Congratulations on such a :jumping: neat decoration. First time to have ever seen one. It looks to be amber, I suppose the shell over a 150 years would get considerably darker. Always thought they'd be more of a green-yellow color. Thanks for posting that beautiful piece.

Sincerely

Brian

• 4 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Yankee: 1. Bosnisch-hercegovinisches Infanterieregiment - formated 1: January 1894 of independent B-h infantry bataillons Nr.1 (established 1885), Nr.5 (established 1889) and Nr.9 (established 1894). Regiment headquarters in Wienna, bataillons hedqarters: I.Bat - Wienna, II.Bat - Wienna, III.Bat - Sarajevo, IV.Bat - Wienna. According to schematismus, in 1909 (I don?t have at disposal 1900 edition) there were in this regiment 12 officers awarded longservice cross for officers III. klass for 25years...

As I have not seen it here, here is my longservice cross for NCO and men for 18.years (used 1867-69)...

Yankee: 1. Bosnisch-hercegovinisches Infanterieregiment - formated 1: January 1894 of independent B-h infantry bataillons Nr.1 (established 1885), Nr.5 (established 1889) and Nr.9 (established 1894). Regiment headquarters in Wienna, bataillons hedqarters: I.Bat - Wienna, II.Bat - Wienna, III.Bat - Sarajevo, IV.Bat - Wienna. According to schematismus, in 1909 (I don?t have at disposal 1900 edition) there were in this regiment 12 officers awarded longservice cross for officers III. klass for 25years...

As I have not seen it here, here is my longservice cross for NCO and men for 18.years (used 1867-69)...

Hi Iver

Thanks for the info, narrowing it down to 12 officers. I understand that the officers from these 4 elite regiments were Austrians and the enlisted men were muslims. Post 33 is a dated 1909 decoration to an officer of the Eisenbahn & Telegraphe Regiment. Does the schematismus give any names? Most welcome to have all types of long service decorations on this thread since there are so many models to learn from.

A couple of questions about the IInd Republic Long Servcie awards. On Bert's Sammlerecke site he shows crosses in blue and red cases. I am assuming red is for military long service and blue for civilian long service?

2nd-One of the long service crosses depicted has an silver bar on the ribbon. What is the purpose of the silver bar? It is pictured below as is show on Bert's Sammlerecke. Pardon me for sticking this modern stuff in the Austro-Hungarian section but I thought it would get a better, and quicker, answer in this thread.

Regards,

Gordon

Edited by Gordon Craig

• 1 month later...
    • 5 months later...
    Guest Rick Research

With the Schematismuses that I have, am pleased to be able to dientify the recipient of Yankee's Bosnian-Herzogovinan 1900 "25" in post #32 above as

Thomas LJUBANOVIC (accent as in ? on the final c)

Lieutenant Feldj?ger Bataillon 20 1 May 1877 (in 1878)

Oberlieutenant Inf Rgt 97 1 May 1882 (in 1887)

Hauptmann 2. Klasse Inf Rgt 52 1 January 1889 (in 1891)

Hauptmann 1. Klasse B-H Inf Rgt 1 1 January 1889 (in 1900)

Major 1 May 1901 in Inf Rgt 54 (in 1905)

Oberstleutnant

Oberst

Oberst aD living in Vienna 1914

Held Military Merit Cross 3rd Class, Signum Laudis Medals in Silver and Bronze, War Medal, 25 Years and later 35 Years Service Crosses (since the "D2" was only reduced from 40 years to 35 years service in 1913, he must have still been serving then, and qualified at 38 real years, retiring 1913/14 before the war), 1898 and 1908 Military Jubilees.

By going backwards into the older Schemtismuses for the other senior Captains in B-H Inf Rgt 1 in 1900 (actually 15.12.99-- when neither Ljubanovic nor those junior to him had a "D3"), none of the others had seniority for 25 years in 1900. He'd have joined as a cadet in 1875.

Austrian Army Lists for 1878, 1887, 1891, 1900, 1905, 1914, and 1917 consulted. If he was recalled for service during the World War, I find no listing for him then.

Guest Rick Research

1906 25 from Inf Rgt 71 in post #24 above is more complicated, since there could be FOUR potential recipients

1) Hptm I. Kl. Julius Siegel, first commissioned Lieutenant 01.09.82 in Inf Rgt 90 in 1884. Gone by 1914

2) Hptm. 1. Kl. Joseph Hadaszczok, first commissioned Lieutenant 01.09.83, in IR 71 from 1884

3) Hptm 1. Kl. Heinrich Tenner, Lt 01.09.83 (in IR 102 1884), still on active duty 1914 (Major 01.05.11) in Inf Rgt 32/Military Swordsmanship & Gymnastics Teachers Institute, with Signum Laudis-Bronze, D3, added 1908. Received Iron Crown 3rd Class 1915 as Oberstleutnant in Landsturm Inf Rgt 6 but apparently killed in action by 1917

4) Hptm 1. Kl. Ludwig Frenzl, Lt 01.09.83 in IR 71, still on active duty 1914 (Major 01.05.11) though Marksmanship Referent III. Corps Command with Uniform of Bosn-Herz IR 2. Then had Bronze SignumLaudis, D3, 98, 08. He was Oberstleutnant 01.11.16 but had an extremely lakluster war by 1917 adding only Signum Laudis in Silver on War Ribbon and upgrading his D3 to a D2.

All four probably got their D3 in 1906, so without having service records on all ofthem-- and even then, 3 of the 4 might have had the same entry date....

With the Schematismuses that I have, am pleased to be able to dientify the recipient of Yankee's Bosnian-Herzogovinan 1900 "25" in post #32 above as

Thomas LJUBANOVIC (accent as in ? on the final c)

Lieutenant Feldj?ger Bataillon 20 1 May 1877 (in 1878)

Oberlieutenant Inf Rgt 97 1 May 1882 (in 1887)

Hauptmann 2. Klasse Inf Rgt 52 1 January 1889 (in 1891)

Hauptmann 1. Klasse B-H Inf Rgt 1 1 January 1889 (in 1900)

Major 1 May 1901 in Inf Rgt 54 (in 1905)

Oberstleutnant

Oberst

Oberst aD living in Vienna 1914

Held Military Merit Cross 3rd Class, Signum Laudis Medals in Silver and Bronze, War Medal, 25 Years and later 35 Years Service Crosses (since the "D2" was only reduced from 40 years to 35 years service in 1913, he must have still been serving then, and qualified at 38 real years, retiring 1913/14 before the war), 1898 and 1908 Military Jubilees.

By going backwards into the older Schemtismuses for the other senior Captains in B-H Inf Rgt 1 in 1900 (actually 15.12.99-- when neither Ljubanovic nor those junior to him had a "D3"), none of the others had seniority for 25 years in 1900. He'd have joined as a cadet in 1875.

Austrian Army Lists for 1878, 1887, 1891, 1900, 1905, 1914, and 1917 consulted. If he was recalled for service during the World War, I find no listing for him then.

Woooooooooooooooooow Amazzzzzzzzinggggggggggg

:jumping::jumping::jumping: Absolutely brilliant being able to identify the recipient. Great feeling to know the man ( records ) behind the decoration. Ahhh you must be part detective...

Just possible that Ljubanovic's 35 year Cross is floating around. Your pure genius :cheers:

Thanks

Yankee

Guest Rick Research

It is just a matter of having the right reference sources at hand. :cheers:

I'm still feeling my way around, never having HAD any Austro-Hungarian army Lists before.

• 1 month later...

Hello All

Any member have info on line regiment No 71 Galgotzy they can share please.

Thanks

Yankee

Hi Gentleman

After viewing the schematismuses from the years 1905-08 as I recall came up with three possible owners.

Captain 1st class Carl Erhart.

Captain 1st class Julius Siegl.

Captain 1st class Ludwig Frenzl.

I was unable to narrow it down any further as I understood the book. Perhaps I did not fully understand what I read and there still is a possibility to track it down to one individual. If anbody can tell me an answer or what further I need to do. Is there a log that would give the month & year when a soldier entered service.

Thanks

Yankee

• 8 months later...
    • 5 months later...

Old thread but, I have a question concerning the list that Dave Danner posted in post #7.

Where exactly do these two fit in? Understand the one on the left is on the wrong (1912 Mobilization Cross) ribbon.

Tim

post-548-076547500 1289288165_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tim B

• 3 years later...
    • 2 weeks later...

So in summary, for enlisted, Imperial Milit?rdienstzeichen could have the following numbers: XXIV, XX, XVIII, XVI, XII, X, VIII and VI.

• XXIV - 1869-90 (no wreath); 1890-1913 (wreath)
    • XX - 1913-1918 (wreath on silver medallion)
    • XVIII: 1867-69 (wreath)
    • XVI: 1849-67 (wreath)
    • XII: 1867-69 (wreath); 1869-1913 (no wreath)
    • X: 1913-18 (no wreath, silver medallion)
    • VIII: 1849-67 (no wreath)
    • VI: 1911-18 (no wreath)

Dear Dave and friends of GMIC. I've seen this Long Service Cross in an Austrian medal bar, and I'm a bit confused. All long service awards from Austria-Hungary that I've seen have the service years in roman numerals, not in arabic numbers. So, what can you tell me about this cross? Fake? Republic period?

mini_140427084720337369.jpg

Dear Cartaphilus,

I think, everything is okay with that medal bar and Long Service Medal with number "12". That Long Service Medal was instituted in 1934 under the name “Militärdienstzeichen für zeitverpfl. Soldaten I. Klasse”. The II. Klasse was with number „5“. At that time in Austria there were six Long Service Medals, as far as I know. Two for officers (after 35 and 25 years of active duty), two for "professional" NCOs (Berufsunteroffiziere - “35” and “25”) and two for contracted soldiers (Zeitverpflichtete Soldaten - "12" and "5").

Regards,

cimbineus

szolg-jelek-1934-700_www.kepfeltoltes.hu